Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used fiberglass wrap on thier headers? I have an 01 ZX6R that I love. I have a Viper exhaust, kevlar clutch, RK chain -1 front, Vesrah front and rear pads, Puig windscreen, custom "homemade" rear signal LEDs in the rear peg brackets, and custom "homemade" aluminum undertail.
I haven't really noticed that much diffrence in the power. Although I think it may have leaned out my mixture a little as I was running a tad rich.

·
Registered
939 Posts
heat wrap for the headers is going to give you no extra power. i use it, it does seem to keep the engine from getting extremely hot while sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't see a need to wrap the headers on any street bike. If you get a little oil, it will catch on fire.............I know..........I know. If your bike is overheating find another solution.

I used it to insulate an aftermarket pipe from burning/rubbing through bodywork, but it was just a couple turns of the rap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cut the undertray just like I would be installing a "purchased" undertail, then I had bought a piece of aircraft aluminum and aluminum rivets. You have to make sure you use ALL aluminum, to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion. (I am an aircraft mechanic so I deal with corrosion prevention alot), then I used a piece of cardboad, traced the outline, cut with metal sheers, then had someone hold it up while I drilled holes into the subfram and the aluminum for the rivits. Then all you do is install the pop rivits. You have to bend the back up and rivet it in last (was kind of a pain in the butt). Then the most technical thing is finding a way to mount the rear brake light, because the brake light mounting points are on the undertray that I cut out. Basically, I cut everything behind the two mounting bolts for the battery tray.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.