Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my headlight fuse popping after installing a new one. I will try to describe what I have found so far. I own a 1995 EX500. months ago I put a Raptor2 universal fairing on the front for that street fighter look. after looking over the wiring diagrams I wired it up and everything worked great. it would change from low beam to high beam just like it should. I took it for a few short rides and had no issues. About a week ago I took it for a couple hour ride and somewhere along the way my headlights went out. so I changed the burned out headlight fuse and restarted. The lights stayed on for about 8 seconds before popping the fuse again. I figured I'd check all my wires for loose connections and after securing a couple I put in a new fuse and tried again. once again it stayed on for about 8-10 seconds and popped the fuse again. I looked for bare wires and have yet to find any. I read that its most likely a short to ground somewhere. Brake lights turn signals and all other lights work and no other fuses pop but the headlight fuse and usually a few seconds after the bike starts and runs. here is where I need some advise. although I dont really want to chase wires it looks like that may be the most likely next step. So I went out and got a multi meter. My issue now is I have no idea what so ever about hot to check continuity of wires or really what I should be looking for, as well as actions to avoid or pointers in chasing wires. can anyone give me maybe a quick step my step to trouble shoot my issue? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, I hope I found the issue and corrected it. The after market fairing I got had 2 bulbs that were 12v 40watt bulbs. the stock bulb for my bike is a 12v 60watt bulb. I'm not sure if my bulbs weren't high enough wattage but when I pulled them out they were toasted and the contacts were melted. After some modification I mounted and installed the OEM bulbs for my bike. So far they are working fine and I'm no longer blowing fuses. Is it possible that the incorrect bulbs was the cause of my previous issue? I'd rather not find out at the wrong time that the OEM bulbs are gonna get fried too if I keep riding and its not a bulb issue but a wiring issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts