Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya guys and gals

My wife owns a 2013 white ninja 650 abs. Would like to mod the headlights so both run in lowbeam and highbeam. I did a search and couldn't find anything on the forum. Anyone know if this has been done before?

I am positive it could be done, might mean a lot of wiring but should be possible.
SaltyDog

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
What is this place?
18,517 Posts
Your problem wouldn't be with wiring. Te problem is with the reflectors inside. If you look inside the low beam, you will notice that it has a cover on the front of the bulb, the high beam does not.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
What is your reasoning for wanting them to both stay on all the time? It is actually safer for you the way it is. When you switch to low beams, and the side with the high beam goes off as designed, then it is easier for oncoming traffic to be able to tell that it's a motorcycle and judge distance better. If both sides were on when you switch to low beams, then it can look like car headlights, and oncoming traffic could mistakenly think you are a lot further away than you actually are. They may think it's safe to turn in front of you, when it actually isn't.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Could go with an HID projector kit, I think they both stay on all the time if you get Bi-Xenons where all switching low to high does is move the little "Cut off line flapper"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drive a street triple and both lights are on for lowbeam then both switch to highbeam. I have driven my wifes bike and its a bunch of fun to drive but her lights suck ass. Mine are stock no fancy lights or mods to speak of and they are 10 times better. Also hear all the time, you have a light out, when lowbeams are on. And the lowbeam does not turn off when hibeam is on both stay on.

Reasoning for wanting to do this, she prefers the look of them both being on and I agree it does look better. Also performance they suck, can't get over how dim her lights are.
As for going to hid's I guess if its the easiest option then maybe. Cant image they are cheap to install or replace but sometimes the things we want don't come cheap.

·
Registered
604 Posts
For what its worth I think TheRussian is correct. My friends ZX6R has the same bulb in the high beam as in the low beam. The big difference is in the headlight housing with the way it reflects and shutters the light. My ZZR has both lights on in high and low. I'm with VanHalen. Getting a good projector conversion would be the best way to go however the most pricey. As for a straight HID kit I got mine from ddmtuning.com and was like $60-80 for both lights with high/ low switching and a proper harness.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Check with Aggracing.com. Hes been a member here and a site supporter for a long time. And I've done business with him. Justin is top notch!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would suggest picking up something like a H4 harness for each side as normally h4 bulbs are hi/low bulbs.
I know of someone with a r125 who did this for the same reason.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bumping an old thread but yes if wired properly bi xenon HIDs will solve your problem and both can be on low. Check out the other thread or search for Borka, in here. Bkmoto.com has an excellent kit for the 650. That can be wired to work with your existing hi/low switch. Both will be on low/ both will be on high. The bike specifc kits start at $206 I believe and he has an excellent detailed how to install it yourself guide on here too. The highlight is his kits come with proper sized projectors so your not blinding everyone coming at you, like a lot of cars that have been fitted with only a bulb in the existing reflector. (The projector focuses the light to the proper point the light is desired instead of scattering the light all over, as a reflector does.) I'd do this before adding any exhausts,pc Or other look-good addons. Safety first, must be able to see and be seen at night!
For a little more you can get halos and demon eyes) which look great too and further so bring more attention to the fact that you are there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts