Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So like everyone else I hate the fact that only one headlight lights up on low beam. So my question is can I replace the high beam bulb with another low beam bulb and just keep my hi beam switch on all the time. I don't ever use my hi beams, I would rather have dual lights. So are the H9's and H11's the same size and have the same plug?

BTW, I don't want to go hacking to do the H4 mod or HID's

Thanks for your input!:cool:

·
Registered
429 Posts
So like everyone else I hate the fact that only one headlight lights up on low beam. So my question is can I replace the high beam bulb with another low beam bulb and just keep my hi beam switch on all the time. I don't ever use my hi beams, I would rather have dual lights. So are the H9's and H11's the same size and have the same plug?

BTW, I don't want to go hacking to do the H4 mod or HID's

Thanks for your input!:cool:
I'm almost positive that it's not a high and low beam bulb but the projector/reflector is what creates the high beam.

What I was thinking of doing is rigging up a bi-xeon projector to the housing and then build a simple circuit to control the high beam flap when the high beam switch is activated. Before I can do any of this I need to determine the dimensions and see what fits in our housing.. lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
The shape of the projector could be slightly different, but the bulbs have different power ratings and different light output. The H9 should be noticably brighter. I would assume the projector shape would be the same, but it could be more focused to get the light straight ahead further down the road.

The bulbs are not exactly the same, but you just need to do a little trimming to make them work. I've never done it, but read that it is pretty simple, basically just removing some small tabs with a blade.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You could always just re-adjust the high beam down so it's not blinding people. I remember someone saying they had done this, only thing is the high beam doesn't have that super clean line on top where the light projects (does that make sense?)

·
Registered
429 Posts
You could always just re-adjust the high beam down so it's not blinding people. I remember someone saying they had done this, only thing is the high beam doesn't have that super clean line on top where the light projects (does that make sense?)
That's indeed true. I was going to adjust mine like that but once I saw that the top part of the light does not have the cut off I decided it would be pointless, hence the bi-xeon light project I might do.. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I changed the lo side to a H9(very easy to do), it is brighter but the hi side is still noticeable brighter, they must be different projectors inside, are the projectors replaceable to make them both the same?

·
Registered
137 Posts
This may sound stupid but here it go's: Stand in front of your bike with the lights on high. Now crouch down to where you are eye level with the lights. " do this from like 20 feet away so you dont blind yourself" You can see that the high beam side looks way brighter!!Now, kneel even lower.. Notice how both lights now look the same as far as brightness? The high beam side is adjusted HIGHER from the factory thats why it looks so much brighter than the other. Its not so much of the bulb being different it is more because of the way it is aimed. I had this same problem and ended up putting 2 h11's in and aimed them the same. It took some time to get them aimed correctly though.. Just trial and error.

·
Registered
442 Posts
why would different bulbs matter? the high is adjusted higher which is why it looks brighter. have you ever faced the wall with your lights on before?...i would just adjust the high lower..

also, i never knew the bulbs were interchangable. than why do people complain about the hid kits and say they are not interchangable?

·
Registered
137 Posts
These new single-filament 55w bulbs are quickly supplanting HB4/9006 in new low-beam headlamp and fog lamp designs. (They are not</I> physically interchangeable with any 9000-series bulb!) As is the case with other bulb families—such as 9004/9007, 9005/9006, etc.—the H11 has different base keys than its H9 high-beam and H8 fog lamp counterparts. Somebody goofed on the spec, though, for the difference between H11 and H9 base keys is insufficient; it's too easy to install an H9 bulb where an H11 belongs. The difference in light output between these two designs is enormous (1350 lumens from the H11, 2100 from the H9), so putting an H9 in place of an H11 will obviously cause the lamp to produce a lot more light. Some lamps are designed such that the optics would handle the extra light well, without creating excessive glare for other road users. Many, however, are not. As with H8 and H9, H11 bulbs are not widely available in the afterma rket.

I googled the difference between h11 and h9 bulbs.:fnfuny:

·
Registered
137 Posts
why would different bulbs matter? the high is adjusted higher which is why it looks brighter. have you ever faced the wall with your lights on before?...i would just adjust the high lower..

also, i never knew the bulbs were interchangable. than why do people complain about the hid kits and say they are not interchangable?

Hid light kits are interchangeable you just have to order the kit with what bulbs you want. Most kits "zx6r" will come with a h11 and a h9. The STOCK h9 and h11 lights are not really interchangeable. You have to cut a tiny plastis tab out of the bulb connector to get it to fit the plug.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, I ripped the whole front of the bike apart to remove the headlight assembly(what a pita) The lenses are different and there are metal sheilds inside that are different on the two sides, I don't see any easy way to make them both the same since everything is molded together, What I did do was swap bulbs, put the lo blub on the hi side and the hi bulb on the low side and when they are both on they are close, so that's what I'm sticking with, gonna keep the hi beam switch on all the time, they are about the same brightness now but the hi side has a wider beam.

It is fairly easy to swap the bulbs from side to side, you have to trim a little off the inside of the plastic bulb socket and a little off 1 of the metal tabs.(took 5min for both with a dremmel)

Thanks everyone for the input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.