Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any one has heat wrapped the headers on the bike? I am not doing it for performance, i doubt it would do anything noticeable. It would just be to better keep heat away from components around it.

-John

·
Registered
692 Posts
A buddy of mine did it on his R1 and said it made a world of a difference in the heat output or whatever. Especially with his high mounted exhaust. Seems like I saw a picture of somebody's 250 with it on there.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I was wondering if any one has heat wrapped the headers on the bike? I am not doing it for performance, i doubt it would do anything noticeable. It would just be to better keep heat away from components around it.

-John
Are you having problems with your exhaust burning or melting things?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Yup this thread came up another time and I said this:
Moo kitty?

BAD kitty!

This has been brought up in MULTIPLE threads not just on the 250 forum. I'll sum up one of those threads (more like I'll sum up what I posted)... The gains from wrapping your pipes on a 250 would be negligible (basically NO increases in MPG or HP). As an added perk your pipes will rust out at a much greater rate! :p The only worthwhile thing to do to your pipes (other than getting a set from Area P) would be ceramic coating... But then again sending them out, dropping a couple of hundred bucks, etc. would still only have negligible gains at best. :)
(ignore the bad kitty part, it was relevant to the original thread I posted it in)...

But if you're going for the 'appearance factor', ehh go for it? It's like $40 for a roll of header wrap and it's fully reversible. Keeping stuff around the pipes away from heat? Just get some sheet aluminum, trim it, and use some pipe clamps (cheapy heatshield) and viola?

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
ive heard, it can be very bad for the header. makes it brittle, and prone to cracking.
altho, im sure the initial quality of the header has alot to do with it.

something to do with the cooling. it will stay hot ALOT longer once wrapped.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
I have a little bit on the midpipe, but that is so my boot doesn't burn.

--David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts