Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hands down, the greatest invention of all time.

I picked up a Tourmaster Synergy heated jacket liner on the way home from work last night, and plugged it in when I got home in less than 10 minutes. I rode to work this morning at 55° (Not bad yet, I know) and I was amazed! This shit is awesome! It's like your taking a steaming hot shower all the way to work. I love it! I only used it on the first setting, and it the heat was so nice, it was almost too much if I wasn't going 60+ mph. I will probably wait till it gets colder to decide if I want heated pants and gloves, but now that I can keep my core warm, I may not need them.

Thank you Tourmaster for making yet another awesome product!

·
Registered
636 Posts
A cheap alternative to heated gloves, I've found, are those hand warmer packets. You can find them in sporting goods stores for like 6 for a $1. I put them on the back of my hand in my leather gloves and they keep your hands pretty toasty.

For the few weeks of riding that its that fridgid where I need warmers, they're great instead of buying heated gloves. Haven't tried out any heated vests or anything, but sounds like that'd be nice too. I could've used it this morning, it was 38* on the ride in today and my textile jacket lets in a lot of air.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Another nice little trick instead of getting heated gloves....wear a pair of latex gloves under your riding gloves. Latex gloves trap heat, so your fingers should stay nice and warm.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another nice little trick instead of getting heated gloves....wear a pair of latex gloves under your riding gloves. Latex gloves trap heat, so your fingers should stay nice and warm.

Have you actually tried this? I did. It made me sweat so much that I arrived to work with ice shavings inside my gloves.

Not exactly warm to me...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have you actually tried this? I did. It made me sweat so much that I arrived to work with ice shavings inside my gloves.

Not exactly warm to me...
hahah yeah, i tried it too, doesnt really work too good but its better then nothing. Ive been riding in with a t shirt, sip up hoodie and a northface wind/waterproof pullover. Its been good so far. I was thinking about the heated vest or jacket. For the lower half, long johns under heavy jeans got me through last winter. But some good winter gloves will definitely be purchased this winter.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I tried that too, and had the same issue. It traps too much moisture to remain comfortable and didn't help retain much heat.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A cheap alternative to heated gloves, I've found, are those hand warmer packets. You can find them in sporting goods stores for like 6 for a $1. I put them on the back of my hand in my leather gloves and they keep your hands pretty toasty.

For the few weeks of riding that its that fridgid where I need warmers, they're great instead of buying heated gloves. Haven't tried out any heated vests or anything, but sounds like that'd be nice too. I could've used it this morning, it was 38* on the ride in today and my textile jacket lets in a lot of air.
correct me if i'm wrong, but you are NOT supposed to allow hothands(hand warmers) to make direct contact with your skin for extended periods. I usually put them in my front pockets and at lights put my hands inside the pocket.

back to the point, i think it even says on the package to avoid skin contact for extended periods.

·
Registered
636 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but you are NOT supposed to allow hothands(hand warmers) to make direct contact with your skin for extended periods. I usually put them in my front pockets and at lights put my hands inside the pocket.

back to the point, i think it even says on the package to avoid skin contact for extended periods.

To be honest I've never actually looked. An FAQ on their site says...

Q. Why can’t the warmers be applied directly to skin? A. Although all HeatMax® warmers are safe to handle and use, some people with sensitive skin (especially young children, Diabetics and the elderly) may have reduced sensation to heat. Please read all instructions for use with each product and apply them properly

I guess considering I'm neither of those I've neve really noticed.

**Edit**: I Googled 'Hand Warmer Skin Contact' and it says for other products 'Do not expose directly to skin for extended periods of time'.....'How to use...place in an enclosed area such as a pocket or a glove'

So I guess either way works. Considering there aren't too many gloves with a handwarmer pocket built into the glove itself on the inside.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
as for the rest of the gear goes (have I ever steered you wrong, dude?) I would only get the gloves. You probably already have some sort of long johns to keep you warm underneath and the fairings of the bike actually do most of the work for you to keep the wind off that part of the body, but the hands? :headshake:

I've tried heated grips, heavy ski gloves and hands down, the best solution is the heated gloves. Actually, if you are doing very long distances in the cold I would even suggest you get some ATV hand guard covers. Those will block off any wind that comes in contact with your hands and after you get used to them (they do take some time to get used to) you wont want to ride without them in the cold.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as for the rest of the gear goes (have I ever steered you wrong, dude?) I would only get the gloves. You probably already have some sort of long johns to keep you warm underneath and the fairings of the bike actually do most of the work for you to keep the wind off that part of the body, but the hands? :headshake:

I've tried heated grips, heavy ski gloves and hands down, the best solution is the heated gloves. Actually, if you are doing very long distances in the cold I would even suggest you get some ATV hand guard covers. Those will block off any wind that comes in contact with your hands and after you get used to them (they do take some time to get used to) you wont want to ride without them in the cold.

No, you still haven't steered me wrong.

My gloves are pretty decent for now, but I'll keep that option open for later. I got some snowboarding pants that have worked down into the tweens so I probably will never need heated pants.

As far as the hand guards...

If I can ever get my Beer Getter V1.1 made (supposed to happen tomorrow), I am going to start working on a design made to do the same thing as ATV guards in the cold, but less intrusive and more cooler-ish for a sportbike.

:D

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
As far as the hand guards...

If I can ever get my Beer Getter V1.1 made (supposed to happen tomorrow), I am going to start working on a design made to do the same thing as ATV guards in the cold, but less intrusive and more cooler-ish for a sportbike.

:D
Shweet! Mark me down for a pair of those when they hit production.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Haha I rode in with no heated vest and it is 40 here right now. I just put my A* jacket liner in. My hands are getting cold, so I need some new gloves(have vented gloves :/)
It's fine to do the tough guy thing for quick jaunts but when you're riding 50- 100 miles daily in freezing temperatures, keeping your core and hands warm is very important to safety.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's fine to do the tough guy thing for quick jaunts but when you're riding 50- 100 miles daily in freezing temperatures, keeping your core and hands warm is very important to safety.

Exactly. Last year I rode when it 18° outside. I rode to work and back from work in the 30's and 40's. The problem is it's not fun. My goal this year was to do what it takes to go out riding just like any other weekend, and not worry about it being too cold, as well as being able to ride to work without having to go 120mph with stiff hands just so I can get to work sooner.

:)

BTW, I'll be the first to say it. I'm a pussy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you have to mod the bike to run heated gear or are they self contained?

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

You have to plug a harness (positive and negative terminal plugs) into the batter, and your done. The 636 has half the battery cover up by the tank, and I got it wired in by only removing the seat.

10 minutes tops with two tools from your tool kit.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Depends on the gear. Some require to run off your bikes battery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts