Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you should be able to tip toe if your wearing boots....

my girlfriend is like 5 foot and can almost tip toe in boots, so you should be fine...

I'm about 5'10" and I easy flat foot the bike in boots...

jsut goto a dealer wearing some sort of work/engineeer boots with a thick sole and see if you can hold the bike up....

be very careful if you buy this bike and it's your first motorcycle...

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm 5'8" and I have to tippy-toe alittle to touch the ground. Listen to Andy's advice. Respect the bike always. It is a high performance machine. 6r's are awesome bikes.[8D]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks guys....I respect those bikes so much, ive had 2 years experience on dirtbikes as well as a small 150 street bike my friend had but i usually ride bitch on my friend Johns YZF600R and boy does that thing fly...i just cant imagine the ZX6R's power...I can stand up my Johns bike and he is about 6 foot. My other friend has an SV650S and i can stand that up as well...also i might as well mention my dad has a 94 hertige softail nostalgia, being a 900 pound bike he lets me roll it around the drive way as well as washing it for him...its up for sale so if any of you guys go lame on us ;)then contact me if you wanna buy....not saying that harleys are lame[:p] thanks again for the info by the way im new here so hopefully ill be seeing you guys around
Chris

------

Ride it hard or dont ride at all

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey guys another newbie here i was just wondering if you guys could tell my your height to see if i could fit on the ZX6R I am 5'4 5'5ish and 16 waiting and saving my money for my bike any response would be greatly appreciated [8D]:D

------

Ride it hard or dont ride at all

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You'll be fine AFTER you get used to it. The SV650 has a similar seat height...BUT, it's narrower at the 'crotch'...so your legs are less spread out, and they can stretch further. The 6R will feel a little taller than the SV. If you have probs with the tippy toe thing, do this (it works better anyway)...When stopped, just tilt the bike to one side rather than leaving it standing straight up.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Hey Foxy,

Welcome aboard.

At 5'4" you are right at the point that your height is gonna make or break you as far as what bike you can pick.

The 2000-2002 ZX-6r has a 32.3 inch seat height.
The 2003 ZX-6r has a 32.5 inch seat height.

The '03s are a little narrower, so on them depending what type of legs a person has (thin, beefy etc) can make the 03 a little easier to sit on.

On a sport bike you can't have too much heel on your boots or you won't be able to work the rear sets right.

To answer your question about speed, if you have rode on a YZF600R, that is the non-racing R6 basically and it's seat height would be 31.7 inches and yes that bike is fast (Not as fast as the R6) and the Ninja would smoke that bike in a heartbeat. The Ninja and the R6 are pretty even speed wise in the 00-02 years, but in the '03 the Ninja takes the R6 hands down. The ZYF600R though cannot take a Ninja 6r in any year. LOL

Now, gonna change the mood here. Now if you are 16, I wouldn't think speed should be your first thought when getting a sport bike. Especially for your first bike. You would want to concentrate on honing your skills (amd looking good of course) and preping yourself for your "next" bike. And that goes for all of us and whatever our "first" and "next" bikes are.

How did you feel sitting on the YZF? Both the Ninjas would be slightly taller. You need to sit on the different bikes and see how they work for you. Some bikes require further lean to reach the handlebars and also the seat to peg distance is different from biek to bike so you have to take all that into consideration when trying selecting a bike.

Now, not to steer you in another direction, but have you considered a Ninja 250? It's not as wimpy of a bike as you would think. I had a Ninja 250, and I trained an ex GF how to ride it and she also took the MSF course as well. Now she was 5'2" and the Ninja was just right for her with a 29.3 inch seat. Also the Ninja 250 will cruise nicely at 80 MPH with two people on it. So it is a very capable bike and a great starter bike for guys or girls (especially girls) and also is great for someone that it not super tall. Also you can get into a 250 for under 3 grand and ride it for a year and still sell it for close to what you paid for it.

So I hope all that helps. Let us know what you decide.

-Flash

PS: My new girlfriend is 4'11". [:p] She couldn't even sit on the Ninja 250. (insert short girl joke here) We even tried a Derbi replica, no go, she is just too short. So we had to get her a 50cc scooter. She was watching me type this and she said she'd love to be 5'4" and would gladly change places with you. :) LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks Flash I really appreciate the feedback. Im 5'4 and well built im only 135 pounds and not even close to being weak hehe but i've done alot of dirt bike racing and my legs are built rather stongly and my dad lets me ride his harley up and down the driveway.... I'm really looking at the 6R due to the fact i know i can ride motorcycle and don't really need to learn anything besides getting the expierence how to drive with other drivers on the road and what not. As far as the 250 goes I was actually looking at that in the beggining when i first started looking at bikes....but my main concern is not speed just the fact that i will get tired of the 250 too easily, is what im really worried about and have to wind up selling it and then buying another bike. In my opinion the YZF wasn't bad but in order to see how i would feel i would actually have to take it for a ride and then come to a stop and put my feet down to see how comfortable i would be. But I wouldn't want to risk trying out a friends bike due to the mere thought of dropping it(i shudder at that word). But really thanks for the help im going on vacation(if you want to call it that because i think its more hectic than anything else lol) for 2 days and ill be back thursday. My friends said they could take me to a local Kawa dealer and look at some bikes. Tell your girlfriend not to feel bad my mom is 5'0 hahaha Maybe thats why i got the shorts in this family damnit. Thanks for the input guys and i'll let you know what i decide and see you around the forum

-Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
lower the bike. my gf, silverzx6r, lowered her 636 using diamond powersports lowering links and can now flat foot it. i actually like her lower bike more than mine since it turns much easier and seems to ride tighter.

lowering a bike is $70 in parts and a couple hours, but well worth it if you want more confidence on a bike.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Axce thats a really good idea i was actually just looking around at what parts would be the best to use if i lowered it. Do you think it would effect the lean radius if you were to lower and if your pegs would scrape at a lesser angle than usual if you were to lean into a turn?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Do you think it would effect the lean radius if you were to lower and if your pegs would scrape at a lesser angle than usual if you were to lean into a turn?"

yes...but as confidence grows you could slowly put it back to stock height right?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by Foxymammas666

i know i can ride motorcycle and don't really need to learn anything besides getting the expierence how to drive with other drivers on the road and what not.
At the risk of sounding like I'm on a soapbox, you have got PLENTY to learn. I've been riding 18 years and I ride with very fast guys, and let me tell you something... I still learn something every time I hit fast roads or visit a track day. You will NEVER stop learning if you are in fact a good rider. Yes, your (limited) dirt bike experience will help, but I just hope you don't think you're a pro because you've got a little off-road experience. There are more differences than you think.

Take a minute and do a search for "dropped bike" and read how many people made mistakes and own up to it, and understand that it's not just newbie mistakes that cause 'em.

The ZX6R is a hardcore supersport. It's a serious track bike for the best of us. Just know what you're getting into.

Ride safe and good luck, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I meant that as in i can do the very basics of motorcycleing and i know for a fact i have an extemeeee amount to learn about riding and working with motorcycles. As in the basics i mean shifting down shifting and simple dirt bike knowlegde....as for street bikes thats a whole different story lets just say im a new born baby into the street bike world and im looking to get out there and learn....with the dropped bike post i found a website with an article that had 128 ways to drop a bike, and i read that more than 3 times already lol that helped a alot, here is the site in case your interested ...and in no way do i think i am "pro" I know i am merely if even a newbie

Chris
P.S. I have sincerely thought over whether to buy a top of the line suicide machine and its consequences after reading some posts on this great forum i think some of these good people should reconsider their actions(not saying that once i get experienced i won't do it) just a though
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP077.html

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Fox, I'm 5'4" as well, and the '02 is about my limit in height and I've been riding street bikes for 12 years. So I recommend taking a good look at lowering it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My wife is 5'03" and she can't touch at all, not even tip toe...of course I kinda dig this because I finaly have something that is all mine, and only mine:D:D:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.