Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I'm a newbie. I did ride semi-seriously but that was three decades ago, and on 125cc dirt bikes at a time that 750cc bikes were considered obsessive. I'm picking up a used 2008 650R today.

I read through the new rider + crash = amputee thread, and it scared the crap out of me. I thank that guy for posting his experience as it was tough to read but very relevant to me. As the movie line goes, "with great power comes great responsibility". No doubt that's the deal I'm getting into with this crazy fast bike.

After reading that thread, it hammered home the importance of good riding gear, and not riding like an idiot. I'm getting fitted head to toe with the best gear possible. I'll do searches on this and other sites, and try on a lot of gear to see what fits me best. I'm getting an Arai helmet, any other suggestions - boots, gloves, pants, jackets, etc are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Hey, the best gear is not the most expensive, rather it is the gear that fits you best.

If price isn't an issue there is lots to choose from, but consider scorpion for helmets and jacket. Lots of good boots out there, armored jeans at a minimum and leather gauntlet length gloves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, the best gear is not the most expensive, rather it is the gear that fits you best.

If price isn't an issue there is lots to choose from, but consider scorpion for helmets and jacket. Lots of good boots out there, armored jeans at a minimum and leather gauntlet length gloves.
That's true. I also think you usually get what you pay for.

I'm trying on a bunch of stuff. In terms of helmets, I'm sure there are a lot of excellent lids available. I'm first looking at Arai on the recommendation of a friend that heads a motorcycle racing team. He also told me that fit is everything.

I picked up the bike yesterday. The 650R is an awesome machine. I was looking at the 250 and 300, but I'm glad I went bigger (again, on the recommendation of my friend). I rode the freeway on the way home after picking up the bike, and it was nice having the extra pull in the higher gears without having to downshift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up a used Arai Vector 2 helmet last night. The guy told me he wore it for about 10 minutes before realizing it didn't fit him properly. It fit me perfectly. It looked like it just came out of the box; not a scratch on it. He sold it to me for $250 which I thought was a great deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts