Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
I’m a complete noob when it comes to bikes, but I’ve been into cars since I was old enough to walk. I’m 21 years old and hadn’t ever ridden a bike until about 2 months ago when my friend let me take his ’07 Hyosung GT250r for a spin. 5 miles later, I was hooked.

I searched Craigslist for over a month and inquired about numerous bikes. Finally, I found a ’08 Ninja 250r in “don’t hit me/hello officer green.” I took a motorcycle-inclined friend with me and bought it.

It’s unmodified, has 6k miles, and cost me $2,200. I think it was a good price for both the seller and myself.

On the way back from Bristol, TN. About 15 minutes after the purchase.

Day 2 of owning it.

Taco Bell run. First ride ever! (First one farther than 2 miles from the house, anyway.) Rode about 90-100 miles that day.

I changed the oil, filter, and both o-rings the other day. I wasn’t sure if or when it had ever been changed, so I figured it would be a good idea. The old oil was THIN. Like thinner than water. Possibly break in oil? The transmission shifts 500% better now.

I ordered this the other day to get rid of the mad flap. It’s the ProjektD fender eliminator. I’m going to use the “maximus kit.” Last time I checked it was somewhere on/above the Pacific.

And finally, my license plate. Hillbilly style. 

So far I’ve logged about 300-350 miles. I’m still a little wobbly, but getting better every day. I’m 100% satisfied with the bike. Light, simple, fun, and easy to operate. More power than I expected. I live in very mountainous terrain and I have yet to find a mountain that it won’t pull in 4th gear. (most of the time 5th and 6th work just fine)

Most of my friends and co-workers love it, but a few just ask why I didn’t get a bigger bike, like a 650, 600, or 1000. It’s simple, really. I’m completely new at this! There have been at least 4 or 5 times in which I would have been on my butt of I had a faster and less forgiving bike, plus the price would have been way higher, as would insurance and upkeep. One day I’ll get a faster bike, but for now the 250 is perfect.

Lovin’ this forum so far. Thanks to everyone for all the how-tos and helpful posts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey everyone! A little update, I rode my 250r for about 2 or 3 months and put about 2,000 miles and had an absolute blast. Grew to really love that bike.

A little over a month ago I took a ride to Bristol, TN, about 150 mile round trip from my house. I was on a narrow country road about a mile from my house going 50 mph when all of the sudden a deer jumped off a small cliff and right in front of my bike. I held the handlebars as tight and straight as I could and held on; no time for braking since I didn't see it until my front wheel was under it's belly. I get the impression that some people think I wasn't looking where I was going when I hit it, but that simply wasn't the case. I scan both sides of the road constantly because of the stupid amount of deer around here. (I hit 3 in 1 year with the Mazda 2 I used to have :mad: )

Anyway, the next thing I remember was tumbling and sliding down the road and the bike passing me up sliding on it's side and sparking. I ended up sliding at least 100-200 yards. I immediately stood up and took my helmet off, and 2 Jeeps pulled up behind me. I rested for a minute or two, and with plenty of help from the 2 guys in the Jeeps, drug the bike back onto the road and rode it home. The Man upstairs was really watching over me; I had 2 scraped up knees, a little road rash on my leg, ankle, and side, and quite a bit of road rash on right arm. (my sweatshirt sleeve slid up)

The bike had a bent handlebar, bent clutch lever, scratched axle shaft, scratched wheel, destroyed front fairing, dislodged headlight, broken windshield, gauges got pushed back into fuel tank, right fairing was scraped up badly, brake pedal bracket broken, muffler bent and dislodged, rear footpeg dislodged, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting about. I decided to claim it on insurance since I had swapped my cars over to another company and wasn't afraid of raised premiums. Progressive treated me great, they gave me the fair value for the bike, and paid me back 100% for the price of my helmet and gloves.

I'm hoping to pick up a new Ninja 300, or maybe a nice used '08+ 250r fairly soon and be back on the road. I just figured I'd share this with you guys and remind everyone to be super careful, wear your gear, and watch out for critters/idiots. :bigrin:

·
Registered
914 Posts
As someone who's also out in southwest VA (Hokie), I'm glad you're OK. Things happen, deer love to do stupid stuff. Now this is the part where you get a new bike and ride the hell out of it... But with actual gear this time and not just a sweatshirt, helmet, and gloves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No doubt, definitely going to invest in a jacket and riding pants.

Found a brand new black 2011 250r advertised for $2,982. I called about it and it is in stock. The guy is supposed to call back with a price. Trying not to get my hopes up too much; I have a feeling they will try to add fees on until is close to the $4k msrp.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That sucks about the dear. Glad you are alright. I have only clipped one on the bike. Have you taken any of the MSF classes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have not taken the class yet. They are all on weekends and I work 12 hour shifts every weekend. I may try to swap with a night shift guy and take them this summer though. I plan on taking my license test at the DMV as soon as the weather gets decent and I get another bike.

The deal with the black 250r fell though. He claimed the price went up to $3,500, plus this fee, plus that fee, and another fee. It was going to be over $4k. However, he does have a white Ninja 300 without the SE graphics (exactly what I'm looking for) for $4,300. It has 126 miles, so it's practically new, but it won't have all the BS fees associated with a new bike. I'm going to call back and see if he can give it to me for $4k out the door. Shouldn't be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I buy most of my bikes off craigslist so I don't have to deal with the dealer. Don't spend to much on 250/300. You'll outgrown them pretty fast. They are plenty used out there you can get for a good deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try to see if you can find a used one cheaper. I've seen a ton on craigslist going for $2500 or cheaper.
I assume you are talking about a 250? The only reason I was interested in that particular 250 was because of the low price. It was about the same price as ones I've seen on Craigslist that have been laid down, modded, or have 10k+ miles. Since it is going to be over $3k, then I will definitely go used if I get another 250.

I am willing to pay for a brand new 300 since I will be keeping it for a good while (no desire for any more power...I'm lame, I know :D ) Since I'm willing to pay $5k for the 300, getting one with 120 miles and saving over $1,000 is a bonus. Plus, it is white without graphics, which is what I want. I like the special edition graphics, but I'd rather have a solid color.

I'll just have to wait and see. Not in any huge rush since there is snow on the ground and it's 15 degrees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I buy most of my bikes off craigslist so I don't have to deal with the dealer. Don't spend to much on 250/300. You'll outgrown them pretty fast. They are plenty used out there you can get for a good deal.
You're probably right, but I think it'll be a long time before I have a desire for a faster bike. I'm one of those "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" kind of guys. I'm used to driving a 1800 lb metro that had 55 hp 230,000 miles ago, so my 250 felt like a rocket ship...haha. Plus I just like the nimbleness of the 250.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts