Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, still can't post there yet.

The problem I'm having is my key hole on my gas cap got really corroded, and then a key broke off in the key hole. i cant take the base out i dont think because its still locked (i tried).

I have called every locksmith and motorcycle repair in the area, and havnt gotten very far unless i want to spend a few hundred dollars.

so, basically, i need help getting this thing off so i can put a new one on. probably a keyless one.

My bike is a 2008 Ninja 650R

also, being able to drive to somewhere would be a great help, but there's hardly any gas in it and i wouldn't make it very far. if i could take it out at the base of the cap, i could put some fuel in and drive it to a locksmith or cycle repair place for assistance, but I am unable, due to the cap locking mechanism itself being corroded stiff, and jammed with a broken key. this is my only vehicle beside a car. (no truck to haul it)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Jam a screw-driver in there, bust the lock and replace with race application (keyless) cap or complete OEM replacement.
That would be my solution but I'm a hack and need things done in a hurry.

Can ya try gluing in a screwdriver on top of broken key? and hopefully turning the lock to open. Spray in some silicon/wd40 and let sit for a while 1st.

I'd have busted it open already :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Jam a screw-driver in there, bust the lock and replace with race application (keyless) cap or complete OEM replacement.
That would be my solution but I'm a hack and need things done in a hurry.

Can ya try gluing in a screwdriver on top of broken key? and hopefully turning the lock to open. Spray in some silicon/wd40 and let sit for a while 1st.

I'd have busted it open already :)
So, you really think i should just bust into it physically?

turning the key is not really an option. its corroded all down inside, and completely stuck. thats why the key broke, cause i was jiggling away at it for hours trying to get it loose. eventually the key just snapped.

also, if i broke into it, wouldnt tons of pieces fall into the gas tank?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Please post a few images of lock. Don't bust the shit outta the lock, gas vapor's an possibly following thru with the screwdriver and causing a spark may ignite gas or fumes. Show me how deep into the lock the key is...where it snapped off.
Brute strength is you're friend here. Tap driver into key lock and twist the shite outta it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts