Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forums my name is Sean, and as you can see I'm from St. Louis. I've been reading these forums for a while and decided to jump on. I am a total noob who just got his license after taking the MSF course and is only waiting on money to get a bike.

Nice to "meet" you all. Have a good day. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Welcome to the forums... good idea with the MSF course up front, just remember to gear up and to ride safe... there are enough people on the road that don't see or care about us. Don't be a statistic! Enjoy the riding!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Sean, what part of STL you in, I live in North County.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on MSF course, that is the smartest investment you could do before gear :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

I live in Webster Groves, but I'm actually up in North County about once a week.

The MSF course was great fun, I did Riders Edge at Gateway Harley Davidson. I'm not sure why anyone would not do the course, unless money was a HUGE issue.

I'm looking to start on the 250 to get to know what street riding is about. My instructor at the course (a middle aged woman with children) actually suggested I start with something bigger. I thought it was interesting!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a 650 would do too if you will be mature with the throttle
While I feel like I would be, I would rather have less margin for error. (ie; sneezing and popping a wheelie :) )

I've heard one argument, by Mordeth13, that a larger bike would be superior to a 250 only in power. So, if you take it easy on the throttle, why start on something with more power which you would not use very often, if at all, with more difficult handling? I don't know, its just a thought. :confused:

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
power is a big thing, you get tempted with it and he is kinda understating how a larger bike will be superior in power. Anything is VASTLY powerful compared to a leafblower!

i liked my twofiddy cause it was light and agile

i learned alot from starting small, now im happy with my 599

the bigger the bike, the more expensive the parts get!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure that will come in time for me =D

So are there any tracks around us for when I start being a decent rider?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Welcome. Just a note of caution as y ou embark on your posting here: Learn to use the SEARCH function! It'll save you a metric butt ton of grief.

Kudos on not getting a 600 as your first bike, too. Good move.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You can learn on a cooking 650, but you'll learn more, learn it better, and learn it faster on a 250.

One of the things you need to learn is how to use the power of the bike, and how to extract that power. On the 250 you can learn this at sensible speeds. On a 650 you can't. On the 650 the biggest lesson you'll learn is how to restrain the power. Then you'll have to unlearn all of that as you progress. Many people never manage to unlearn it.

The physical size and weight of the bike isn't really important.

Rob

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gateway racetrack has racedays, there is a schedule on stlmoto.com...good luck with finding a 250 in the area at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi StlL, The 250 is a great size for starting. You'll have lots more fun in the city with a smaller bike. The larger bikes are great for highway but pretty much suck for fun in the city (and without going fast!). Just watch out for one thing: DUST ON THE ROAD.
So take it on over to Alton for the hills.
Lolocowboy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts