Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a few questions regarding helmet/bike cameras. I'm interested in buying a camera so I watch my rides and improve on various things; does anyone know of any that they can reccommend? Do you need to have a digital recorder to save the data onto or do they use a memory card or something like that? I know about tank cameras, but im not really interested in one as I would like to record from the perspective of the rider. I'd like to be able to see which direction my head is pointing and whatnot and also what i'm seeing. I'd also like to record sound at the same time. Ive done a few quick searches but I dont know how well the systems actually work.
Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got mine at hoyttech.com and it works really well. It isn't a stand alone unit. It plugs into my Cannon, the same way you would connect the Cannon to the VCR. It records sound too. I took a morning commute video if you seach my posts. I think it is in Pictures and Movies titled SD Morning Commute. If you have any questions or want more info let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
I recently got a setup from http://www.helmetcamera.com/. Its a pretty good system, I recommend it.

It came with a mini dvr which uses SD memory sticks to record the video. The 2 gig stick I have right now holds a couple hours of video. The quality is decent, not great but good enough for what I want it for. The audio kind of sucks, but that is probably due to the wind noise. I might try out a different mic and see if that helps.

Currently I have the camera mounted on the top of my helmet. Like you, I wanted the rider's perspective. It works pretty good but now I'm thinking about mounting the camera somewhere on my bike instead. With it mounted on you head, you don't get the affect of the lean, which also affects the sensation of speed.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by wharthog3II<br>I got mine at hoyttech.com and it works really well. It isn't a stand alone unit. It plugs into my Cannon, the same way you would connect the Cannon to the VCR. It records sound too. I took a morning commute video if you seach my posts. I think it is in Pictures and Movies titled SD Morning Commute. If you have any questions or want more info let me know.
[:+1] I also got the Hoyttech (HC Pro) which is a Sony unit. It works great, and comes with mounts for helmet AND bike (or wherever else you want it mounted). Not cheap, but the vid quality is very good.

http://hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=279

The media to which you save depends on what you plug the camera into - mine (like Whart's) goes into the ANALOG a/v inputs on a Canon Elura 100, which has the option of saving to DV tape or SD card. The saves to the card are lower res, and limited in length, depending on the size of the SD card. The DV tapes are simple enough to use, and give very good quality.

No matter what you decide, make sure your camcorder has ANALOG A/V inputs, or you won't have any way to connect the cam to it.

You may find that mounting the cam on the helmet (while it does give you the rider's perspective) is a bit distracting; every time you turn your head to check over your shoulder or the mirrors/instruments, the image jerks right along with your head - very dizzying effect. If you go that way, be prepared to do some editing...lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.