Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a camera for my bike. Anybody got any recommendations. I'm leaning toward a helmet cam but am also considering bike mounted cameras. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each system?

I found this on the net, anyone have any experience with this product? http://www.skullcamz.com/product_p/011-indy.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think the helmet cam would be cool.
I havent seen many vids with them. a nice deference would be you get to see where the rider is looking, girls, licence plates, trafic behind,and how the wind is pushing the helmet, shakeing and what not.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have a helmet cam setup. The perspective is nice since you don't see the gauges and windscreen. Your neck acts as a pretty good shock absorber too, so the video is smoother. On the downside you don't get the sense of lean angle you do with a bike-mounted view since you tend to keep your head level, even when leaned way over. You also get little "dips" in the video when you check your mirrors. It's hard to keep your head really still. I thought it would be cool to record stuff to the side too, but it's kinda weird to watch. My biggest beef is the system eats batteries. I need to wire the helmet cam into the bike's 12V system somewhere. I put the camcorder (Sony) in my tank bag. I have a remote control (single button on a wire) that works with the Sony so I can easily turn the camcorder on/off and in/out of record. There is an LED on the remote that lets me know what is going on. I bought my stuff from www.helmetcamera.com

http://helmetcamera.com/acart/agora...c=HelmetCamera_Kits&product=HelmetCamera_Kits

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
[:+1]

Helmet mounted has the advantage of smoother imaging (since your whole body isolates the vibration of the bike/road), but as Garry said, when you do head checks or glance at anything, the image slews so fast it can be dizzying. Still, that can be edited out with the imaging software tha comes with almost all camcorders these days. An external camera can be mounted on your helmet, goggle strap (for off road), or anywhere on your bike/atv. Gets expensive though.

Mounting to the bike definitely shows the lean angle better, but can be bumpy, and shaky. The advantage is, you don't have a bunch of wires all over you, and if you have a clear windscreen, you can skip the external cam, and just get a ram-mount for the camcorder itself on the tank. Some people (mostly non-bikers) find the lean of a sportbike to be unsettling...lol. Lightweights.

For our upcoming trip to the dragon (10 days 'til we leave), I got the Hoyt HC-Pro:

http://hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=279

and use it with my Canon Elura100 camcorder -

http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_Elura_100/4505-6500_7-31641795.html

The HC-Pro lens is better than what's on the camcorder, so I get great quality, even at night. Your camcorder MUST have analog inputs to accept a helmet camera - the Hoyt site has a compatibility chart. If your camcorder has no analog inputs you're limited to using the camera's built in lens, so you have to go with bike-mounting (unless you want the whole cam on your helmet).

Good luck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I went with 480. I was told it's noticably better than 380, and the 560 was overkill, especially after rendering to a regular movie file. I took their word for it. No complaints on quality.

·
Registered
748 Posts
just recently got a hoyttech setup (thanx gotrice)
haven't really had a chance to use it a whole lot yet.
mounted it where the reflector was... also working on a mount for below the airscoop. currently keep the my sony dcr-trv520 camera in my tankbag as the cable is not long enogh to reach my trunk. need to get the extension cable. it also came with the camera remote switch which is monuted on the fairing just above my left grip.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by ******
just recently got a hoyttech setup (thanx gotrice)
haven't really had a chance to use it a whole lot yet.
mounted it where the reflector was... also working on a mount for below the airscoop. currently keep the my sony dcr-trv520 camera in my tankbag as the cable is not long enogh to reach my trunk. need to get the extension cable. it also came with the camera remote switch which is monuted on the fairing just above my left grip.
Except for the size of your camcorder, thats a prety nice setup. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
748 Posts
lol yeah u r right... but i have a choice, buy a fancy new smaller camcorder or buy a new set of tires for the bike....hmmm decisions, decisions.

the sony is ~6yrs old, and was considered near top-of-the-line when i bought it haha it can record in digital mode on digi/hi-8 tape.
best feature i like is that it has a 3.5" LCD screen for blind folks like myself. i don't think you can find any cams with a viewer bigger than 2.5" now.

·
Registered
748 Posts
oh btw... the hoyttech cam looks huge because the lipstick cam is actually inside the camera protector in the pics.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by ******
oh btw... the hoyttech cam looks huge because the lipstick cam is actually inside the camera protector in the pics.
[:+1] - the protector does make it big, but it's a good idea to keep the cam itself shielded from bugs, dust and rocks (especially if mounting on the lower fork).

I've played with helmet mounting, but I'm going to also put a double-stick mount on the fairing as well, so I can get some "lean" shots.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55

I've played with helmet mounting, but I'm going to also put a double-stick mount on the fairing as well, so I can get some "lean" shots.
That's my plan too. I want to mount it under the nose, but first need to make sure there is enough clearance when the forks are totally compressed. I wonder if anyone makes a small, adjustable mount that can be mounted anywhere on a fairing?

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by garry

That's my plan too. I want to mount it under the nose, but first need to make sure there is enough clearance when the forks are totally compressed. I wonder if anyone makes a small, adjustable mount that can be mounted anywhere on a fairing?
Go to home depot or lowes... in the electrical department - they have self stick plalstic mounts that allow you to zip-tie just about anything to them...

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...earchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+3004&pos=n04

These come in black and in smaller quantities. They use double stick tape (included), so they're pretty easy to remove, and they're strong enough to hold the cam at speed (you might even be able to modify them to get two close enough together to double-tie the cam...

Lots of sizes & types available elsewhere too...

http://www.buycableties.com/catalog/?pid=87

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sony made a system that came with a digital camcorder that was the size of a deck of playing cards, an external "lipstick" style camera and stored all the video to a memorystick. I bought one for about $500. and have used it a few times on my motorcycle. I'm at a loss for the model number now, but if I find it I will post it here.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by anarion55

<snip>..... and they're strong enough to hold the cam at speed (you might even be able to modify them to get two close enough together to double-tie the cam...
huh... so you've been peeking at my sketches again. gotta cut ~1/8 inch off each one. i'll prolly be messing with that tomorrow a.m. i'll take some pics when i get done.
edit: i tried some velcro, but didn't get the warm fuzzies about how secure it was on there.

i also gotta get an extension cable so i can put the recorder in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just got a cheap helmet cam ($100) online. I didn't want to spend more than that, of course I don't expect top notch video quality, but we'll see, if it's really crappy, I'll send it back. I'll post a video when I get it. It records into a SD memory card, powered by 4xAAA type batteries.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.