Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to note, I purchased a Fulmer the day I bought my bike because it seemed to be one of the nicest helmets they had and it was reasonably priced. After riding for a few months and doing some research I realized just how important your helmet really is. I purchased a Shoei RF-1000 last week and cannot believe the difference in the two. Fit, weight, road noise, and aero dynamics at high speed are all SIGNIFICANTLY better with the Shoei. Moral of the story...do your homework on helmets and don't just buy one because it looks cool or is inexpensive...you get what you pay for, so shell out the $$$ for a Shoei or and Arai. Just my 2 cents!:D

G

·
amen

all helmets should protect the same in the even of a crash. but its the comfort factor and designs that u pay more for with certain brands. ive had 2 HJC's and am ready for a more comfortable lid.

·
Registered
875 Posts
[:++1]

I tried on a bunch of helmets and did a lot of research before I bought mine. Protection is my first priority, and I saw reports that most protect very well. I ended up getting an arai, and it fits great is very light and well vented. You do get what you pay for in the sense of comfort, and being comfortable will help you stay focused. Don't have anything to compare it to, but I'm very happy with it.

On a side note, does the protection ability of a helmet deteriorate over time? Mine is a leftover my dealer had from a previous year. How often do you guys replace your helmets? Sorry for the thread hijack.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rule of thumb is 5 years of usage.

But yeah, the more expensive helmets definitely feel plusher. I have an Arai and an HJC. I wear the HJC usually due to convenience of the flip up, but the Arai seriously feels like a pillow on my head. I just wouldn't want to wreck in it. haha.

The money is mostly for comfort and fit and finish. Protection is generally the same for helmets that meet snell oe ece.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
The money is mostly for comfort and fit and finish. Protection is generally the same for helmets that meet snell oe ece.

The money is for fit and finish......and advertising and graphics.

However, if that fit and finish is what will make you wear a more comfortable helmet day after day, then there is no reason that you shouldn't spend the money to buy a helmet that you will wear every time that you ride.

--David

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I rode with a guy over the weekend who was riding a Suzuki Boulevard.. which is a big stretched cruiser. He was the first person I can remember wearing a full faced helmet on a cruiser, and I didn't think much of it after I noticed. He said people look at him weird because of it, but I give him thumbs up for being safer. I know it feels good to wear a half shell, but style and safety should not really carry equal weight in the decision making process when you're buying gear... besides, he looked badass on a black Boulevard with everything chrome and a glossy black helmet with a pitch black shielf.. Friggin' Darth Vader! lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Originally posted by dwillits

However, if that fit and finish is what will make you wear a more comfortable helmet day after day, then there is no reason that you shouldn't spend the money to buy a helmet that you will wear every time that you ride.

--David
Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the money isn't worth it. My Arai is definitely a nice helmet. :) I forgot you guys have optional helmets; here in California, we have helmet laws, so it's assumed we'd always go out with the helmet on.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Originally posted by SilverLightning

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the money isn't worth it. My Arai is definitely a nice helmet. :) I forgot you guys have optional helmets; here in California, we have helmet laws, so it's assumed we'd always go out with the helmet on.
Mandatory helmet in Virginia too.. However, I'd wear one even if it wasn't required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.