Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i clean the liner of my helmet? can i just take it out and put it in the washer, or can i only use the sprays that i see in catalogs? it's a shoei RF900. its been almost 2 years since i got it, and i think it needs to be freshened up a bit.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I would not wash it in a machine. If anything, I would hand wash it.

I checked a Shoei user manual just now, and i must say, those are poorly laid out. Nothing about cleaning the lining, just the outer shell and faceplate.

-Flash

·
Registered
212 Posts
Most people use a mild soap/water.Then let it air dry completely..If i'm not mistaking the RF900 doesn't have a removable liner.So you have to hand wash the inside/rise good and let dry.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Oh and if you wash/rise the inside of the helmet you can dry it with a hair blow dryer. But NO HEAT ! Use it on cool setting only. You don't want the inside of the helmet staying damp and possibly getting mildew.

-Flash

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wear it in the shower and let it dry good! That's what I've always done and never had any problems. Just shampoo your hair, put the helmet on and move it around a bit, then rinse thoroughly.

Always nice to have a clean smelling helmet:)

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Use shampoo to clean it. You'll have to let it dry for a day or so, but when you're done it'll be so fresh and so clean clean....

Just don't over do it, you'll get a feel for how much shampoo to use as you'll see that brown nastiness that came off your own scalps make its way down the drain. When you stop seeing brown, you know it's relatively clean. Rinse, repeat then let it set for a day to dry.

Or you could just buy an Arai with a remove-able liner, and it'd be a hellova lot easier. [:p]

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
You guys really wear your helmet in the shower? Never heard of that.

I think I'll stick to my method. LOL

-Flash

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I don't wear mine in the shower!!!! Just take it off and do the cleaning in the bathtub/shower so you don't make a mess.....nutters one n' all [:p]

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i just washed mine out yesterday. took out the liner and hand washed it in the sink. i let it air dry outside overnight, then sprayed some febreeze in it. good as new.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just half fill the bath .. chuck it in *gently* .. give it a good scrub with some shampoo and hang out to dry ... try not to look at the colour of the water before you empty it .. or maybe thats just mine lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Am I the only one that actually wears their helmet in the shower? I figure kill to birds with one stone, lol!! I started doing that years ago with my dirtbike helmets then when it came time to clean the streetbike helmet I figured, heck why not....

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Shower with your helmet. I'v egot to say that is the funniest thing I've heard on the to do list. Gotta try it!
Maybe we can get Ashley to demostrate this technique for us.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Buy an Arai or a Shoei, they have removeable liners ;) use rubbing alchohol on the inside of the chin bar to get rid of that stinkie halatosis smell you've been known to produce.

If you ever sneeze in your helmet ::GAG:: be sure to get the rubbing alchohol on the double!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally posted by NASTYZX6R
Am I the only one that actually wears their helmet in the shower? I figure kill to birds with one stone, lol!! I started doing that years ago with my dirtbike helmets then when it came time to clean the streetbike helmet I figured, heck why not....
LOL
Now that's funny.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Since you can't remove the inner lining on the rf900, would taking it to a dry cleaner work? They can just spray the inside of the helmet with that shit they use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.