Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
But that's just my point. I'm wondering what additional protection a "more expensive" helmet would actually offer. If both ("cheap" and "expensive") are DOT and SNELL certified, I'm questioning whether the only thing you are paying for is stuff like more complicated vents, liners, etc.

But like speedvlaze mentioned, I'm gonna do a search...

· Registered
298 Posts
Is there really a big difference in protection between helmet brands? I always look for Snell and DOT certified helmets. But is a $400 Shoei really that much better than a $200 HJC. I realize that part of the price difference may be the ventilation & liner systems (and advertising bumps up prices, as we all know). But aside from looks, maybe improved airflow, improved aerodynamics...if we're talking about two helmets which are both Snell and DOT certified, is spending twice as much money really going to give more protection?

Any thoughts? Better yet, any *objective, scientific evidence*? [:p]

Thanks,

inca jones
2003 636 Black

· Registered
298 Posts
Ok, since I don't want to get anyone's panties in a bunch (i.e. the "Do a search" zealots...), I'll end it here (since I started this thread).

To those who actually engaged in a *logical* discussion as to what could possibly be better (in terms of *safety*) about 2 differently priced helmets which are *both* Snell and DOT certified, THANK YOU. To those who *still* resort to the very lame (sorry, that's what it is) "If you have a $200 dollar head, buy a $200 helmet. I'm going for the $400 helmet...), you ENTIRELY missed the point. Frankly, I think my head is worth *more* than 400 bucks, or a thousand, or even a hundred thousand bucks. I really enjoy life, and I value mine. But guess what - buying a more expensive helmet (because it simply has better *ventilation*) doesn't necessarily mean you or I are actually getting better protection.

Special thanks to dj dunzie (who actually made a reference to *scientific evidence* in the form of a written test article). It's refreshing to know that some people here actually take the time to read what we all write.

inca jones

· Registered
298 Posts
I would like to take a moment to thank speedvlaze for recommending a Search. Yes, I know, I should've done that before. [:I]

But he was right - there are a ton of good threads on this same topic. Still no "scientific evidence" of why some helmets are better than others (Snell and DOT certs aside). So, if anyone ever comes across an article or something, PLEASE post it! :D

Thanks again for all the replies, folks.

inca jones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.