Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody... I have a green 06 and i am gettin the joe rocket kawi green textile jacket and my HJC peice of S*** helmet just isnt cuttin it anymore.... I feel like a bobble head who can't breathe in this helmet, the airflow is about as good as a SMART Bus, and the weight is just sick. I tried on a KBC helmet which isnt a huge upgrade and could tell a world of difference in weight... anybody got any suggestions on what would look good????? pics would be appreciated too... thanks everyone!

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you want a lighter helmet with better airflow you are looking at the Shoei X-11 or the RF1000 (slightly lower price) or the Arai RX7 corsair. Neither brand are cheap and there is much debate over how much more they protect your head in a crash but I do know that both brands vent very well in their top line selections.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Suomy helmets are the shit. Way lighter than the shoei and arai. The cheek pads and the liner are removable. And it's got good air flow. I used to go shoei all the way, but now it's Suomy.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Started life with HJC, then went to shoei, then Suomy...But i am a dedicate ARAI guy now...I love my Quantum II helmet and it is the perfect fit, and i know if i go down it will do what it is supposed to do

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
What HJC do you have?
The AC line of HJC's (AC11 or AC12) are both fairly light helmets, with decent ventilation.
The CL's are cheaper ones.

Arai, Shoei, Sumouy will give you good ventilation and usually low weight, but they cost a lot more.

For me, I've been riding for 5 years with HJC's, first an FG-12, then AC-11, which I crash tested at about 60mph and it did it's job, and soon to be arriving, AC-12.
The FG-12 was comfortable for me, I didn't notice it on my head at all, until I did a shoulder check and the visor flew open. This got annoying after a while.
The AC-11 was comfortable too, visor was nice and solid.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by Sanjose636
Suomy helmets are the shit. Way lighter than the shoei and arai. The cheek pads and the liner are removable. And it's got good air flow. I used to go shoei all the way, but now it's Suomy.
[:+1]

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Nice gear Nick. My wife bought me an HJC CL-15 and it's a nice helmet for me overall. Wind noise is tolerable, but the fit isn't as tight as new. Seems it expanded more than other helmets have. I'm going suomy or arai next time.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
What HJC do you have?
The AC line of HJC's (AC11 or AC12) are both fairly light helmets, with decent ventilation.
Yep. I have an AC-12, I think it was lighter than the Scorpion exo700 I had before it. It's a nice helmet, visor stays closed always, and you can change out the visor in about 30 seconds. Very easy.

Comfortable too, unlike the scorpion which gave me headaches..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Suomy lighter than Arai and Shoei? Sport Bike just did reviews on all the top of the line full face helmets. Arai RX-7 - 3.37 lbs, Shoei X-11 - 3.34 lbs, Suomy Spec-1R Extreme - 3.4 lbs. It's not like it's a big difference, but the Suomy is actually heavier than both the Arai and the Shoei.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I struggled with helmets too - I've been through an 2 HJCs, KBC, Shoei RF-100, and currently ride with an Arai RX7 Hayden. I tried on every helmet I could find and made money no issue - I didn't care about cost. I didn't like Suomy helmets as they seemed to not fit my head well. I also liked the AGV Rossi stuff but they helmet felt like cheap crap to me when I put it on. The venting, weight, visor movement (bad ass), and pure feel of the Arai actually made it a VERY easy choice. I suggest going to a shop that has a variety - or go to many if you have to - and find the helmet that meets your needs. Also remember, we get emotionally invested in our purchases and you'll find people on the internet arguing with you about what you may or may not purchase because they feel the need to defend their choices.

Get the helmet that meets your needs best. I'm thrilled with my helmet and will buy another.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i started with a cheap fulmer and recently decided i needed something better and made up my mind on the kbc vr2 gunslinger (cause it looked cool) went to cycle gear and tried it on. damnit the thing didnt fit right so i started looking at others. ended up leaving with a shoei rf1000 and i love it. it vents good, fits perfect, has a visor lock, easy to change visor, very little wind noise and removable lining. plus i talked them into letting me have it for $300 instead of $450. this was last friday. anyway go to cyclegear and try some on and pick the one that fits best.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Go to a shop and try some(every model in your size) on. I went and tried on every helmet they had under $500 in my size. I thought I found a few that fit well until I tried on the Shoei RF-1000, it feels like a pillow. I like it a lot and its so comfortable that I always wear it. Go to a shop and buy one that fits you the best and feels the most comfortable. If its comfortable, you will be more inclined to wear it all the time.

Also, don't be afraid to deal with your local bike shop. They had my helmet (RF-1000 Nerve) listed at $427, I asked what they'd knock off and I got it for $360. goodluck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to have a Shoei and switched to a Suomy spec1r extreme. The graffics are crazy, I get compliments all the time, and air flow is good.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by futurgen55
Suomy lighter than Arai and Shoei? Sport Bike just did reviews on all the top of the line full face helmets. Arai RX-7 - 3.37 lbs, Shoei X-11 - 3.34 lbs, Suomy Spec-1R Extreme - 3.4 lbs. It's not like it's a big difference, but the Suomy is actually heavier than both the Arai and the Shoei.
I've read reviews like that, too, but I don't know what helmets they're weighing...I went to a shop by my house that a buddy of mine works at, and they have a digital shipping scale for FedEx stuff, and we weighed a bunch of helmets, most straight off the shelf, and others that people that work there, and myself, own and use, and found some surprising things that didn't fit with manufacturer or magazine claims at all. We weighed an Arai RX7, Icon Mainframe, Shoei X11, Suomy Spec 1R, Scorpion Exo-700, Shark RSX and S800, Vemar VSR, KBC VR-1, and HJC AC12. The HJC was heaviest, followed by the Icon Mainframe, followed by the Shark S800, followed by the Shoei, then Scorpion, then KBC, then Suomy, then Shark RSX, then Arai, then Vemar. The Vemar VSR was lightest, at 3.02 lbs (the Vemar CF weighs in at under 3 pounds) the Arai was like 3.05 lbs, and the HJC was over 4 pounds. Both the Arai and Vemar have the best airflow of the helmets we compared, and the Vemar, Suomy, Arai, and Shark RSX were about even for the highest quality in materials and manucature...the Vemar can be had for $150 shipped, lately, if you can find them for sale. They retail at $500. $150 shipped is cheaper than all the other helmets in the comparison except for some discounted HJC's.

So...I guess that points to Vemar. =)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.