Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I rode my bike to work. Once inside I was talking to a few co-workers with my helmet in my hand. I had my arm down at my side with the helmet in my hand and it slipped out and hit the ground almost directly on the top of it. It probably fell no more than two or three feet. The helmet fell on carpet, yet the carpet is not soft by any means but softer than the surrounding tile. My concern is that my one friend said once they take an impact of any sort they are damaged and do not provide full protection. My other friend said it wasn't a far enough drop to do any damage. What do you guys think? You think I'm alright?

BTW - its a nicer HJC helmet (forget the model of it)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i'd still use it...but yea it's intregrity has been comprimised.. i still use my helmet i crashed with..but only cause i lowsided and didn't land on my head...it just has a few scratches.. i got a hjc cl-14 btw

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mine has fallen off my bike a few times, it happens. I would think a 24inch fall onto carpet shouldnt comprimise anything. If it does they are building these things way too weak (and charging way too much!)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
it's not weak..it's designed to absorb shock by collapsing..if it were hard the force would be transferred to your head. that = ouch[B)]

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'm with spartan 116 on this one...
It's integrity has been comprimised as they're designed for AN impact. (That's one.) The motorcycle safety course I've taken a couple times covers this topic and inform all in attendance that ONE fall from 3 feet can render the helmet useless in the event of a crash (as far as shock absorbsion goes). However, in the end it's your head that it has to protect so it's all up to you!!

Do a search and I'm sure you will find that this has been argued several times...

·
Registered
934 Posts
... I should add that one of mine fell off my mirror at a gas station, bouncing off the concrete... [V] but I still used it for the season. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's been said that you should replace a helmet after a crash, but just dropping it may be slightly different. The interior of the helmet (with a head in it) is designed to absorb the force of one impact. The inside is basically styrofoam, it collapses to slow down the forces acting on your head. One time use, similar to condoms. [:0] If it were me, i'd just get a new one. Why have it in the back of your mind that your helmet may be compromised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.