Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scorpion exo helmet similar to the one in this picture. When I first got it, the flip up part would stay raised, but over time it has become so loose that it will not stay up. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to get to to stay up? Or do I just have to buy a new helmet if I want that option?

·
Registered
337 Posts
TBH, I'm not surprised that nobody has responded. The only responsible answer is to make a decision either you're never going to ride in the dark, or you're going to buy a new helmet where the visor works as expected.

If the only problem here is that it falls down and that's the limit, then wearing it isn't inherently a problem. You can just leave it down and not ride at night, near night, if there's a rainstorm on the horizon and, keep in mind that this is like riding around with a tinted visor, you're going to be stuck not riding when it's dark, likely to get dark or there's a storm moving through.

Personally, I'd just buy a new one and not have to worry about it. Any fix or doctoring of the helmet carries risks, not the least of which is for it to pop down unexpectedly if the fix breaks and distract you at an inopportune time. Motorcycles are inherently risky, defective gear isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
How old is the helmet (there is usually a date stamped on one of the D-Rings)? If it's past 5 years, then it's definitely time to replace it.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, sorry I was unclear. I am not referring to the tinted visor. I am referring to the entire front section of the helmet. It is easier to put on and take off the helmet with the front section raised, it just won't stay raised any longer. Mine didn't have a date on the D ring, but it has a dated sticker inside that says it is 5 years old...which is kind of annoying as I bought the helmet new about 2.5 years ago. >.<

·
Registered
337 Posts
Oh, sorry I was unclear. I am not referring to the tinted visor. I am referring to the entire front section of the helmet. It is easier to put on and take off the helmet with the front section raised, it just won't stay raised any longer. Mine didn't have a date on the D ring, but it has a dated sticker inside that says it is 5 years old...which is kind of annoying as I bought the helmet new about 2.5 years ago. >.<
Oh, that is a bit different. The 5 year rule is more of a guideline. If you bought it new that recently, I wouldn't automatically chuck it because of age. That is, assuming you've taken decent care of it. It could be fewer than 5 years if you live in an area where you're sweating a lot and the sweat is eating it away, or it could be good for a bit longer, if the helmet is used less frequently and isn't subjected to anything corrosive.

That being said, the fact that parts of it are failing do point towards wanting to get it replaced as there's no telling what else might be degrading from use.

If the whole front won't stay up, but properly locks in the down position, that's a different matter. Still, I wouldn't try to fix that as the last thing you want is for that to come unstuck and flip down while riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts