Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2009 ER6n and I love it! This is probably a dumb question, but I was wondering how exactly the helmet straps were supposed to work.... all it has are the 2 loops that barely stick out from under the seat and the hooks in the back. Do I need another strap to make this work? Or is there something missing that should have come with the bike? I can't seem to find any photos or explanations of it using any search method... (google, forums, etc)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
the cable comes out from under the seat into the metal loops on your helmet and then back around the nut that is holding the metal cable to the bike (it makes a big loop) and then you latch your seat back on top of this loop you just made, and vawala....helmet lock

2 cables total, one on each side, and they work independently from each other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response! :D it all makes sense now! And I totally feel like a tard :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was wondering the same thing! I just have been hanging my helmet off the passanger grab rails.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just one little recommendation: They aren't kidding about you shouldn't ride with a helmet hanging from the locks. I had a spare on there for a little while for passengers, took it off one day, and the passenger peg had worn thru the shell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the cable comes out from under the seat into the metal loops on your helmet and then back around the nut that is holding the metal cable to the bike (it makes a big loop) and then you latch your seat back on top of this loop you just made, and vawala....helmet lock

2 cables total, one on each side, and they work independently from each other.
I'm also a tard:p. So just to clarify, I have to remove the nut, insert the d-rings in the loop, and tighten the nut? Hmmm... seems too tedious to do so when a thief can just cut the strap in a few seconds and get the helmet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm also a tard:p. So just to clarify, I have to remove the nut, insert the d-rings in the loop, and tighten the nut? Hmmm... seems too tedious to do so when a thief can just cut the strap in a few seconds and get the helmet.
leave the nut where its at, the other end of the loop of the cable goes around the hook part right next to the nut. as far as theft i wouldnt use this system as security lock for my helmet, i just carry it around with me.
visual aids ftw!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wanted to add a tip...

The helmet loops can be turned into two forward attachment points by looping them and sticking them out through the grab strap indentations of the seat. Sadly our bike lacks built-in forward attachment points.

I use this trick to attach a bungee net holding a passenger helmet. Feels more secure than hooking to the grab strap which is too wide for the hooks to grab securely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
the helmet hangs a little long, with the wire showing, so I wrap it around the metal holder. If anyone wants my helmet they'll have to cut its strap instead of the wire plus it makes it a little harder to do.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts