Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my sprocket setup. I want -1 front and +2 in the back and there is a clicking noise coming from the front sprocket. I took it off and put the front stock back on so that I was running 15/45 and the noise was gone. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Is the 14/45 not a feasible setup? I'm using my stock chain by the way. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was hitting the chain guide on top. What's the fix to that since a lot of people here are running -1 front?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
There is no fix for that other than keep an eye on it. Also droppong a tooth on the front is making the chain go around a tighter radius, making the chain work harder. This can cause additional noise from the chain until the chain and sprockets break into each other and the guide gets worn down some from the friction of the chain rubbing on it. Other disadvantages of a -1 on the front are that tighter radius causes the chain to wear out a little faster. Make sure you keep up on the maintenence of the chain and check the slack and stretch more often. Other things would be to make sure that everything is lined up correctly (chain & wheel alignment) and that both sprockets are installed correctly.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks xtremewlr. So it's fine to keep riding her like this and the noise will eventually go away? I made sure everything was aligned perfectly and tighten all the bolts to manufacture's specs.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by rainking1978
Thanks xtremewlr. So it's fine to keep riding her like this and the noise will eventually go away? I made sure everything was aligned perfectly and tighten all the bolts to manufacture's specs.
That is pretty much what I am thinking if you have ensured that you have everything installed right. Just be sure to keep an eye on things and increase the maintenence on the chain and you should be fine.

BTW, where did you find the sprocket kit? That is a steel rear sprocket right?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I got it at sprocketcenter.com and yes they are afram steel sprocket.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy shit. I just did a real test drive and this thing pulls like it's a liter. Damn. Fucking bike came alive. I almost shit my pants :D.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I ran the -1 setup upfront and had the same problems with rubbing noises etc.. I only managed to get 8-10k at most out of my setup as the chain is so worn its ridin on the tips of the sprocket and kicked in numerous spots. Power wise it felt good but I would rather suffer a little bit of performance for less money out of my wallet on a chain-sprocket setup every 8-10k.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking about putting my front stock sprocket back on and leaving the +2 rear.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by BcVulcan

You'll need a longer chain.
That's incorrect. Stock chain will work with 15/45 setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok, I run the same set up but i went +3 in the back with a -1 in the front. If you look at the pic with the 2 front sprockets the stock one has a rubber cushion the absorbs the noise where the after market one doesnt. My bike whines when Im riding it and clicks when I push it forward and After 3 months of clutch wheelies and riding I havent had any problems yet! good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hey rainking1978, if you go back to stock front with +2 rear post up how it feels please. im going to do the +2 rear and leave the front stock because i didnt want to stress out the chain and follower. just need an opinion if its worth doing. thanks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with stock front with + 2 rear and was better then stock gearing. I was able to clutch it up in 1st very easy but -1/+2 is way better. I went back to -1/+2 because the noise is normal. I wouldn't go back to stock gearing. I just need to get a speedohealer. Where is a good place to order?

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
Originally posted by m1215
hey rainking1978, if you go back to stock front with +2 rear post up how it feels please. im going to do the +2 rear and leave the front stock because i didnt want to stress out the chain and follower. just need an opinion if its worth doing. thanks
I originally just went with -1 which is similar to going +2 in the rear. It is definetely worth doing. Its how the bike should have come from the factory IMO. Its not too much different than stock at highway speeds but you will feel a big difference when you get on the throttle at lower rpms. Launching the bike from a stop is much easier too.

I wanted a little more so I eventually did both and I'm glad I did. But I don't use my bike to commute, just for fun. BTW, how much do you weigh? If your pretty light, I'd say your better off going with one or the other. But if your up around 200 lbs or more, go with both in order to get that front wheel up easy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
thanks for the info guys. im only 155. i think i will do the +2 rear and speedohealer first. then i may try the -1 later.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also have the -1/+2 AFAM steel sprockets on my bike (I also bought them from sprocketcenter.com since they are located 20 min from my house :D). However, I'm not sure how many miles you had on your chain before you did the install but it's not recommended to use an old chain on brand new sprockets for obvious reasons of abnormal wear and tear. I ended up buying a new RK racing chain with my sprockets and the whole package was $175 and I have not heard any noises from my chain. You may just want to buy a new chain if you are hearing noises. Yes, this bike needs that setup IMO, especially for me since I ride an '05 ZX-10R too [:p]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.