Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 zx600c that i have been rebuilding yesterday i got to the point that i could fire it up i hooked up the auxilary fuel tank and fired it up it ran great all day long now today i was going to fire it up to sync the carbs and when i started it the idle went to about 9000 and gas started to pour out of the pod filters i have also put the tank back on and tried that that didnt help it has a dynojet jet kit installed and i pulled the 1 carb back open and everything looks clean and good does this sound like a float level problem? looking for any advice on what to do next

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
sounds like the floats are sticking. there is an easy test. take off the carbs, drop off the float bowl and hook up the aux fuel tank, hold the floats up by hand and see if the fuel stops flowing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do i need any special tools to adjust the float height the manual says the height should be at 17mm but doesnt say how or exactly where to measure from

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also any idea why it would not have done this yesterday but just started this today i had it running at least a dozen times yesterday for extended periods of time and it didn't do this?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i cant really say why it would do this out of no where, but i can say that to set the height you just bend the float itself. hold the carbs like the sit on the bike, and push up on the float until it touchs the needle valve. you measure from the bottom of the float to the gasket surface. very hard to explain without pictures. http://www.dansmc.com/carbs.htm there should be some good info here, also buying a service manual can be the best $20 youll spend.

·
Registered
293 Posts
SOulds like worn float vales or corroded seats.

My ZX600 would intermittenly piss gas. My float vales were relatively new (no visible ridge in tip and still soft.)

I polished the valve seat with an eraser and now no more problems. Seems they had a bit of corrosion so they wre a bit rough.

As for measuring, flip carbs over, remove bowls and measure from bottom of float to carb bowl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.