Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 ER6f and a 2011 ER6n both experiencing the EXACT same issue 馃槵馃槵馃槵

The issue is that when the bikes get hot the engine stalls while riding. When trying to start the engine back again it cranks but does not come on and the FI light flashes as it tries to start. I would then have to turn the key to switch off the bike and then back on and then the engine would start. I would then be able to drive for a few yards before it stalls again.

The longer I let bike cool down the longer I can drive before it stalls again. If I let it cool down enough then it wouldn't stall at all.

I've taken the bike to a kawasaki dealer and they've not been able to identify the issue as the problem didn't occur when they took it for a ride (even though I told them not to bother taking it for a short ride because the problem won't happen)

The issue generally happenes when then bike is at its hottest and after maybe 30-40 minutes of motorway driving but it would only stall when I slow down to speeds arround 30mph and below and I only have the problem on hot days (20c+)

Both bikes had a full service just under a year ago and this included a change of oil, oil filter, coolant, air filter...etc

I've also recently replaced the fuel injectors, ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel filter on the er6f but not the er6n

Here is a video of what happens after it stalls

Any ideas!!!???

Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
I'd check the coolant level and ensure the fan runs when hot. Those are pretty quick and easy.

Other stuff:
Are the radiators in good condition?
Spark plugs good?
Thermostat?
Coolant mix could be bad.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mattv.

Yes the fan does come on when hot. The coolant was drained 8 months ago and topped up with castrol motorcycle coolant.
I have new NGK Iridium spark plugs on the ER6f.
The radiator does not seem to be in good condition on the er6f but looks okish on the er6n so i'll give them a clean and straighten the fins. Here are some photos of the radiators.... er6 - Google Drive
As for thermostat, does that fact that the fan comes on when hot mean the thermostat is okay?

Registered
1992 ZX7J & 2017 z650
As for thermostat, does that fact that the fan comes on when hot mean the thermostat is okay?
No, I think a different sensor handles that. The thermostat I'm talking about is inline with the coolant pipes. It's a valve that opens and allows coolant to flow. To test it, as far as I know, you have to remove it and suspend it in hot water: Thermostat Inspection - Kawasaki ER-6n Service Manual [Page 214]

It looks to be about $30 for a new OEM thermostat. I'd give it a shot on one of the bikes if you can.

Registered
I would read fault codes, mabe oil pressure sensor, if you had compression tested, valve cleariance in spec, and OEM sparks CR9EiA-9 then grab manual and multitest all what possible, allways tell story when, how, cuz its wirdo that it happens on both bikes, when they get hot /valves? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts