Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 05 ninja 250 which ran for almost a month and now does not start :confused:
i did some searching in forums but couldn't quite find my exact situation, if there is a thread then let me know so i don't waste anybody's time.

everything and anything i know about what happened:

day before it died - i had a flat front tire so i put that slime stuff to seal it (just until my new tire came in a couple days later), i noticed after riding that some of it had kicked back up on front of the bike, could this have gotten into something and caused something not to start?
also, after that, i forgot the key in for about 30 mins, so when i came back out to it, it was dead. successfully pushed started it and rode it around to charge it back up. shut it down, and it started back up fine.
i did notice it had a very low idle since i got it, not exactly sure what rpm since i haven't gotten it to start in 2 weeks. was this a warning sign of problems to come?

the next day - i leave for work at 4 am and it starts fine, get off work around 9am and starts fine again. about half way home (approx 5 miles) i notice the tach starts to jump around crazily, and slowly losing power, i give it more gas and it pulls through a little bit until it finally lost power and shut off at about 20mph. i had to pull in the clutch since i was in gear and the back tire locked up. got it off to the side and tried to start it with the choke on and off and got one click. at first had trouble getting it back to neutral (as if it locked in gear) but after a couple tries got it in N and shifting (while off) is fine now. walked it to a safe shaded place to let it cool down and tried again. if i held the ignition switch in i would get a 'click, silence, then rapid clicking'

what i've done since that day -
1. got the battery charged and tested. threw that in, only one click. this time if i held it, i got a click and smoking from the negative terminal..that can't be good.
2. replaced the starter solenoid. (still old battery) now back to the 'click, silence, rapid clicking'
3. brand new battery charged and all. (new solenoid as well) back to just one click.

at every start attempt, after the click i can hear the starter motor (i believe) spin.
no fuses blown, kill switch on, tried starting with choke 'on', 'off', and half on, set fuel to 'on', 'reserve', and even 'off' just because, pulled in clutch in case safety switch was being activated, nothing worked.
plenty of oil, coolant is not full but above the L line (but that wouldn't keep it from starting would it?) i can see as well as hear the gas in the tank.
never found leaks on the floor underneath it.

any ideas on what the next step easiest step i could try before i have to get into the intense stuff?
or anybody know the problem possibly??
let me know if anything is unclear or any questions you have about what i did!
i just wanna start riding againn :(

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
How many miles on it? When was the last service done? Hopefully you got the paperwork from the previous owner.

The service manual has a long list of culprits ...
"starter motor rotating but engine doesn't turn over"
starter motor clutch trouble

"engine won't turn over"
valve seizure
valve lifter seizure
cylinder, piston seizure
crankshaft seizure
connecting rod small/big end seizure
transmission gear/bearing seizure
camshaft seizure

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
check your wiring harness, something might be open or shorting out

since you replaced the battery and starter you should get a nice steady clicking, not just one click-pause-rapid clicking

as for the rpms acting weird, i have no clue
might just need a tune up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spark Plugs?
i haven't checked the plugs yet, i was thinking that would be the next step.

How many miles on it? When was the last service done? Hopefully you got the paperwork from the previous owner.

The service manual has a long list of culprits ...
"starter motor rotating but engine doesn't turn over"
starter motor clutch trouble

"engine won't turn over"
valve seizure
valve lifter seizure
cylinder, piston seizure
crankshaft seizure
connecting rod small/big end seizure
transmission gear/bearing seizure
camshaft seizure
12,xxx miles, don't know the last service and the previous owner didn't have service records..
i also only have the service manual supplement so that wasn't too helpful.
is there a way to figure out which one of those it is using the service manual? or is the only way, to focus on each possibility and take one at a time apart and check?

check your wiring harness, something might be open or shorting out

since you replaced the battery and starter you should get a nice steady clicking, not just one click-pause-rapid clicking

as for the rpms acting weird, i have no clue
might just need a tune up
well i didn't replace the whole starter just the solenoid, would that still give me a steady clicking? and the rpms only acted weird and sputtered before it died. but yes i agree, my bike needs a tune up hah.

i did get a couple more opinions, one saying that it's seized...
another said my gas flooded the engine because the oil cap smelled a bit like gasoline when he pulled it off
also i did notice the first couple weeks when i brought it home, after i rode it there would be a strong gas smell as if the gas was leaking, but there was no outline of a puddle or anything so i didn't think anything of it, just thought it was because it was in a closed garage the smell was trapped.
was that a sign that gas is flooding the engine??
any ideas on that?

thanks for all the help guys, and i will update you as soon as i take my next step!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm familiar with compression tests on cars, but what kind of test could I do on the bike to see if the motor has seized? What is a good test to find out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Forgot to ask: How is the engine oil level?

If you try and push start it, does the rear wheel lock up? That seems to be one way to test for engine seizure. You could also open the engine and see if the crankshaft will turn. For details, see something I came across while searching for your troubles Dan's Motorcycle "Unsticking Stuck Engines".

good luck

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thats y i Hate a 250 Maybe time for a new Bike man ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts