Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back from a four-day, 1600 trip about 10 days ago. Haven't ridden the bike since the trip, but I did wash it once. Decided to change the oil tonight, so I drained it (cold), put a fresh oil filter and oil in and went to start it. Nada...

Lights on. Fuel pump primes. Starter turns, but it doesn't sound like it's really cranking or something. Put the Battery Tender on the battery and it went to storage mode pretty quickly, so it's not a weak battery.

Thoughts? The bike is a 2005 with 5400 miles on it. Never caused me any grief aside from a totally dead battery once about a month ago.

N

·
0 Posts
very similar symptoms i had when my 04 didnt start one morning b/c of bad plugs

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Mine did the same thing last summer. I went into Cyclegear and when I came back out, the bike would not start. Since the bike wouldn;t start, I roll-started it and oddly I never had the problem again. Never did find out what it was though.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
First step is to check the fuses. Don't forget the ECU fuse on the left side of the rear subframe.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by tweakmon
First step is to check the fuses. Don't forget the ECU fuse on the left side of the rear subframe.
Fuses are all good. The bike cranks, so it's not a flakey kill switch. I suspect the clutch and kickstand interlocks would behave the same. I checked the Appendix of the service manual and it mentions that bike down sensor. Is there any way to check that sensor/switch with just a voltmeter or something?

I guess I'm going to check the plugs tonight and see how that goes. Haven't had the tank or airbox off this bike yet. I assume it's easy enough to get to the plugs. Anything special to be aware of? My guess is that fouled/dead plugs wouldn't be covered under warranty, so I might as well check that myself. I'm no whiz mechanic, but I'm not afraid to turn a wrench.

If that doesn't work, I'll be hauling it off to the dealer tomorrow or Friday. Sucks not having a truck, van or trailer. Luckily one of my wife's friends owes me a favor and he has a truck and trailer.

Looks like no riding for me this long holiday weekend unless it turns out to be plugs. Any other suggestions welcome.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,671 Posts
Originally posted by garry

Fuses are all good. The bike cranks, so it's not a flakey kill switch. I suspect the clutch and kickstand interlocks would behave the same. I checked the Appendix of the service manual and it mentions that bike down sensor. Is there any way to check that sensor/switch with just a voltmeter or something?

I guess I'm going to check the plugs tonight and see how that goes. Haven't had the tank or airbox off this bike yet. I assume it's easy enough to get to the plugs. Anything special to be aware of? My guess is that fouled/dead plugs wouldn't be covered under warranty, so I might as well check that myself. I'm no whiz mechanic, but I'm not afraid to turn a wrench.

If that doesn't work, I'll be hauling it off to the dealer tomorrow or Friday. Sucks not having a truck, van or trailer. Luckily one of my wife's friends owes me a favor and he has a truck and trailer.

Looks like no riding for me this long holiday weekend unless it turns out to be plugs. Any other suggestions welcome.
Did you try bump starting it? I know it's not really good to do but could the plugs be that fouled in only 5400 miles??? Especially since you just got back from a long trip? I assume you didn't have any problems on the trip. Is there any way the fuel could have been corrupted? As for getting to the plugs, I was just talking to Hoser the other day about it. Once you get the tank up or off, it's no biggie except there are 4 little bolts on the throttle bodies you'll need to loosen. I didn't get that far but I believe they are 3mm allen heads but Hoser suggested and I agree, a nice T-handle would be the best way to loosen these. I am notorious for dropping shit and then having to use my expandable antenna magnet to try and find it. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't tried bump starting it yet. Perhaps I'll add that to the To Do list for tonight.

Re: fouled plugs
The bike has always run great and never had an issue with starting. Always fires up right away. That's what's so weird. It was running fine when I pulled into the garage. I can't imagine the plugs were fouled when I started, but maybe the handful of attempts to start it *have* fouled them. All I've done is rolled it out to wash the bugs and grime from the trip off. Maybe I got some water into a sensor or something. Like I said, it cranks, but won't start.

The other weird thing is that after letting the tach and fuel pump do their thing and try to start it, the fuel pump priming noise starts again after I let off the starter. Note that I'm only hitting the starter for a couple or three seconds max, not grinding away at it. Of course I'm not touching the throttle either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the same thing 2 weeks back, went on a 1500 mile trip and did not ride for a week. Bike would not turn over. I put some fresh Gas in and had to bump start it. Since then everything is OK.

·
44,671 Posts
Haven't tried bump starting it yet. Perhaps I'll add that to the To Do list for tonight.

All I've done is rolled it out to wash the bugs and grime from the trip off. Maybe I got some water into a sensor or something. Like I said, it cranks, but won't start.
Get a gas powered leaf blower and blow dry that bitch!!!! :D Who knows, it may work. The other guys who said they bumped started and then never had the problem again, so WTF could that be?? I'm thinking in your case maybe the water has something to do with it but I'm far from an expert. When you washed it, did you use a nice spray or a high pressure washer? I don't like those for bikes or cars for that matter but that's just me.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by prs

When you washed it, did you use a nice spray or a high pressure washer? I don't like those for bikes or cars for that matter but that's just me.
Always a light spray with a garden hose. I try to use as little water and pressure as possible. The bike isn't going to melt if it gets wet, but I try not to force water into places it's not supposed to be.

·
44,671 Posts

Always a light spray with a garden hose. I try to use as little water and pressure as possible. The bike isn't going to melt if it gets wet, but I try not to force water into places it's not supposed to be.
Yea, I figured as much but I just thought I'd ask. I recently saw a guy at one of those hydro-spray washes and he had his sport bike in there and was hosing it down.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just for grins, before you pull any stuff apart disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Then re-connect and try it again. It probably won't work, but the number of times I've seen FI cars just brain-fart for no particular reason, it's worth a try. Especially if it saves work (if you're anywhere near as lazy as I am.)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You may want to try putting a battery tender on the battery too. I know it doesn't sound like a bad battery, but its worth a shot. That might be why the fuel pump primes again. You turn it on, it does self diagnostics and fuel pump thing...you hit the starter and it cranks...but that kinda temporarily sucks the juice from everything else it needs to get to, turning those things off and not letting the bike start. Then you stop cranking, and those things get juice again and the fuel pump primes. Then its probably just a coincedence this happened after you washed the bike.

Sounds strange I know. This past winter I went out to start the bike on a warm day and it fired right up. I let it get up to temp and shut it off. This was after it had sat for at least 3 months, maybe more. A month later I went out to do it again and it cranked a couple of times and then clicked like a dead battery. A battery tender later and I was good to go. But I did question why it worked fine after sitting for 3 months or longer, but then 1 month after I had started it, it wouldn't start.

Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is your kill switch on? Someone suggested the tip-over switch, but maybe while you were washing it you accidently hit the red kill switch and just haven't flipped it back yet. I know, it's a stupid suggestion but I've done that myself a few times...

Good luck.

·
28,939 Posts
Dewry636 on scpmc.net had that same problem when we returned from the dragon... he ended up changing plugs and had to give it some throttle to get it going. if i remember right it spit and spuddered a little then started running. i dont think he has had a problem with it since? and he never did find out what was wrong with it. His plugs were BLACK though when he pulled them, but that could be from cranking it trying to start it.

I spoke with Sonic today as well and he just had the same problem this morning. He got some water in his garage from the storms and then his bike wouldnt start. He put it outside in the sun for awhile and it fired up.

check the plugs, its easy NGKcR9E's i think... Do you have a service manual?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
All I've done is rolled it out to wash the bugs and grime from the trip off. Maybe I got some water into a sensor or something. Like I said, it cranks, but won't start.
There might be somehting to that. A few posts up I mentioned that my bike did the same exact thing. The night before this happened was the first time I rode in the rain. I got caught in a huge thunderstorm. Might have something to do with the water.
I would bumb start the bike and go for a decent ride to heat the bike up and burn off all the water. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike won't crank if the kill switch is off, so that's not it. I tried to bump start it (once) and just got a single mini-backfire type sound. Short of pulling the tank/etc to get at the plugs, I'm ready to just drag it to the shop... if I can find a way to get it there. Wishing I owned a pickup, van, or even a car with a trailer hitch.

I guess I'm addicted. I think I'm feeling bike withdrawl already :) I'm betting the Triumph put the Curse of Lucas on the Ninja bike when I sold it a couple days ago. "That'll teach him to sell a fine piece of British engineeering...".... Hahahaha

Still open to suggestions if anyone has them...

·
44,671 Posts
The bike won't crank if the kill switch is off, so that's not it. I tried to bump start it (once) and just got a single mini-backfire type sound. Short of pulling the tank/etc to get at the plugs, I'm ready to just drag it to the shop... if I can find a way to get it there. Wishing I owned a pickup, van, or even a car with a trailer hitch.

I guess I'm addicted. I think I'm feeling bike withdrawl already :) I'm betting the Triumph put the Curse of Lucas on the Ninja bike when I sold it a couple days ago. "That'll teach him to sell a fine piece of British engineeering...".... Hahahaha

Still open to suggestions if anyone has them...
At least pull the plugs before taking it to the shop. Maybe even siphon out the fuel and add new just to cover your bases. I'm a little buzzed right now so keep that in mind. LMAO. I just hate dealers, unless you know a good mechanic you can trust.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.