Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i'm new to this site...just hopeing someone can give me a hand.

I picked up an '06 zx6r (636) with 7k kms this week. the bike has been down, and probably not started for awhile. so i started her up when i got it and it was blowing out a lot of white smoke (burning oil). I did an oil change, and took her out for a couple spins and noticed it's spitting out oil from the exhaust!! still smoking like crazy...

would this mean the motor needs a rebuild?? is there anything i can do that could help stop the smoke? can i add oil additives (stop smoke etc.) to the bike?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is this a common thing for these bikes? what would cause something like this?

would you suggest some additives? the bike seems to run fine, idles steady at 1bar past 1k...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wrecked a 03 CBR600RR a couple of months ago. After I put it back together and started it for the first time it shot oil out of the exhaust and smoked quite a bit. The problem was when i wrecked the bike landed upside down and oil had gotten in the exhaust. The solution was to take apart the exhaust can and re pack it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply rob, u just gave me some hope that it *could* be something other than the motor!

so, i will do a compression test tonite and go from there...hoppefully it checks out and the problem is somewhere else!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Open up your airbox it could have some oil in there,most likely since it was crashed. Clean it out and replace your plugs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It could be that when it was wrecked it was left on its side for a while which caused oil to leak into the cylinder and then into the exhuast or airbox. It just needs to be run for a while to burn off the oil. If you think its something else then definatly do a leakdown test and that will tell you if there is any blow by or not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, i was hoping it was just some oil that needed to be burnt off...but i have kept it running now for approx. an hour or so in total...i figured that should have been enough to burn the oil...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Check any and all vent and vacuum hoses going from the engine to the airbox to make sure none are kinked or missing. An FSM would be helpful to make sure they aren't crossed up and going to the wrong places. It's probably a problem with that causing oil to get sucked or blown into the airbox, and burning through. At the very least open the airbox and look for oil in it before entertaining the idea of compression/leak-down testing. It's so much easier to check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Brandon, i must have forgot to mention that i have checked the air filter, it was the first thing i looked at. it seems clean and free of oil. the air box was also clean and dry. I will check it again today, seeing that the muffler didn;t spit out any oil until last night (i check the filter a couple days ago).

btw, i haven;t replaced the gas in the tank since i got the bike. you think stale gas would cause anything like this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have checked the coolant level and it is full. why would it spit out oil from the exhaust? what should i check to verify if it is burning coolant?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Drain the oil and check to see if you have coolant in your oil. That would tell you that the engine has a blown headgasket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have done this, the oil was good (dark brown chocolatey), not creamy like it would be if the coolant was mixing with it. So atleast i can rule out a leaky head gasket...

·
Powerhungry
37,963 Posts
Originally posted by slammer
i have done this, the oil was good (dark brown chocolatey), not creamy like it would be if the coolant was mixing with it. So atleast i can rule out a leaky head gasket...
not necessarily. thers oil through the head too. it could still be a head gasket. do a leak down test VS a comression test. IF there is a leak somewher that will help you pinpoint it.

how long have u ran it, each time. does it ever clear up?
try running it for awhile see if it clears.

after rebulding my bros 22r motor. it smoked for atleast 30. i soaked the rings and pistons in oil...it took a long time to burn it all off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nevada, i've ran it for 15 minutes at a time, last night i had it going for 30-45 minutes...the smoke never seemed to clear up...

i think i'll let it run for an hour or 2 tonite...hope it solves all my problems...but if it continues to smoke, i'll have to take it apart tommorow and check/replace the plugs give it compression test (i have a compression tester, not sure exactly how to do a leak down test)

nevada, when you said it smoked for 30, did you mean minutes or days?

·
Registered
204 Posts
i think i'll let it run for an hour or 2 tonite
You probobly know this but make sure you monitor the engine temp. if you are running it without riding it. I heard some stories of people letting a bike run for 30min and up and the fan failing making the bike to overheat.

·
Powerhungry
37,963 Posts
hahaha yeh sorry it was 30 MINUTES.
a leak down test is when u run the piston to top dead center, then using compressed air. pump up the cyl. and listen for the leaks. or watch the gauge to see if its losing pressure.

was the bike rebuilt before you got it? is it possible that a vacuum line was switched with a vent line. causing it to pull oil, and oil vapor straight out of the crank?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the bike was as is when i picked it up. i'm pretty sure there was no one in there messing with the vacuum lines.

I had the bike running for a good hour or so tonite...took her for a couple spins, but the smoke never cleared up completely. well, it would clear up at idle and then i take it for a spin and it smoke pretty bad again...upon further review, it's actually a blue smoke (oil) and there is a smell to it.

So, i'm going to pull the plugs tonite or tomorrow, and go from there. I'll let you know what i find...

Btw, i would appreciate any suggestions or ideas! Thanks all for your replies so far.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
i wonder if a piston ring is not seated properly. that would cause it to smoke bad like that, and smoke constantly until the rings are replaced. i hope not, because that would require a rebuild, but it is an option.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.