Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's your chance to do your good deed for the day... help a new rider stay alive and critique my gear :cool:

I'm negotiating a deal for a used green '08 250R and wanted to get my gear in tow in preparation for 1.) upcoming MSF courses 2.) my first bike

Keep in mind I'm on a semi-budget but am willing to splurge for GOOD gear FOR cheap.. not CHEAP gear.

Noggin:

Shark RSI

Torso:

Dainese Laguna Seca Leather + Back Armor (to put into pocket)

Hit Air Airbag Vest (I'm still debating this... it's $$$$$)

Legs/Feet:

Icon Field Leg Armor (to wear under my jeans)

Joe Rocket Overpants Mesh (to wear over my work clothes for commute, or shorts, for gym)

Joe Rocket Pro Street Shoes

BOOTS CHANGED TO --> Sidi Streetburners (decided to opt for more coverage, more protection)

OR

Draggin' Liners w/ Attached Knox CE Armor (kevlar thermal to wear under jeans, covers whole leg)

http://www.dragginjeans.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=DLINERS

Hands

Icon Merc

I'm always open to suggestions... and all of the above is pending on fit (the online store has a good return policy and I'll be test fitting helmets in real life first)

GLOVES CHANGED TO -->

Alpinestars SP-S

full-grain leather, carbon knuckles, kevlar+leather palm, double-layered fingers

$69

Let me know if you guys know of quality FULL LEATHER short cuff *green* gloves!

Thanks

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback... based on your responses and some more research, I've decided on the Shark helmet, switched gloves and boots.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I say get Alpine star SMX-2 for your riding boots. Its like the best street boot out IMO and it goes with the leg armor. Gloves? but yeh gear is looking good IMO.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, I agree the Alpinestar SMX-2 boots are better

and look into 3/4 gloves by Alpinestar, they're actually less expensive and they have more protection around the wrists.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It all looks good, The joe rocket overpants mesh are great if you wear shorts to the gym.. I don't really think if you're just starting out that you would need to get the shin gaurds, thats just a bit much you know? helmet? don't be afraid to spend more there. I wear an Icon Mainframe, which is sorta not in style i suppose this year it was two years ago but you can find them for around 200.. The gloves have to fit, thats all i'm going to say about those... there are many different hands and many different gloves! i've gotten pairs before that i've returned the next day after an evening of riding around cuz they cuz me to cramp on my clutch hand so get those like the week before or something so you can return them if it doesn't work out and exchange for a different pair.... now the big one.. the jacket. Sweet, but a bit pricey? Personally i have three... my first jacket is a textile, summer jacket, found a nice leather that fit for the cooler seasons, and a mesh which really isn't sporty at all cuz its a Vanson i bought when i had a cruiser.. but it works in the balls hot and humid weather and the textile is just too much.. they're seasonal and you can never have too many options you know? if i could recommend one, especially one that won't break the bank, http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/...knic/freestyle_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html
... Can't beat it for 80$ and you could probably still afford to get the leather too... its nice to have choices you know?
Those shoes are cool, but seem more aggressive like something i would want to wear for a weekend in the canyons... to and from work, i wear a standard leather steel toed work boot... and i wear boots at work anyways so it works.
The hit airbag vest is really neato cool but probably overkill... if you go down its probably cuz you're going way too fast and didn't see the sand and was staring at the tree and gaurdrail... so don't do anything dumb and you'll be fine. besides, a few broken and bruised ribs builds character and teaches valuable lessons.. take that money and go to California Superbike school with it...
conclusions? yeah. decent jacket (icon, tecknic, j rocket), helmet (one that fits, Icon, HJC, Shoei, Arai), gloves, a good pair of jeans (not thin, should be like real levis), and a good pair of leather boots. Those are the key things. oh and learning how to ride good and ride smart

·
Registered
389 Posts
if you are near a gear shop or a local dealership stocks gear at least try the stuff on if you can. I personally don't like those icon boots the feel too clunklybut that could just be me

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Go for the shark helmet, no on the icon gloves. Just haven't heard great things about them protection wise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cypher, thanks for the feedback man... i'm in the "do it right the first time" camp, even if it costs a little more. i'm actually getting a great deal on the Dainese jacket.. it's only about $150 more than the other jackets I was considering (plus it's perforated!)

and i agree that the vest might be a little overkill.. it's just that i'm a noob and i expect to go down so i'm dressin up for the crash

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, I agree the Alpinestar SMX-2 boots are better

and look into 3/4 gloves by Alpinestar, they're actually less expensive and they have more protection around the wrists.
sweet, thanks.. i found a good deal for the joe rocket pro street boots (now in my original post) that look similar to those A*'s

that glove looks nice, i didn't want full length gloves but felt the short cuff ones exposed the wrist too much - the 3/4 sounds perfect.

sucks that alpinestars don't really come in green anymore

·
Registered
110 Posts
A+ on the Shark RSI
A+ on the Dainese Jacket

Go with the Alpine* SMX2 boots and get some better gloves...there are far better shorty's out there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the field leg armor as well.. I had to buy velcro strips and pu them along the shin part of the armor because my legs were too skinny for it to fit snug...

other than that they have 9000 miles on them and they're great.

·
Registered
802 Posts
sucks that alpinestars don't really come in green anymore
Whatever, just get them in Black. And it funny cause i was thinking about the icon leg armor paired up with the armor shorts so a can do some riding in jeans.

I was wondering tho if with the leg armor, armor shorts and boots i'de be able to ride in shorts:D i'de be half squid, half rider.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whatever, just get them in Black. And it funny cause i was thinking about the icon leg armor paired up with the armor shorts so a can do some riding in jeans.

I was wondering tho if with the leg armor, armor shorts and boots i'de be able to ride in shorts:D i'de be half squid, half rider.
i like it man, you'd have the whole ghetto iron man thing going

the thing about the A* 3/4 glove is that the plams are suede... i was hoping for all leather. i'm liking this one, esp. for the price (cheaper than the icon mercs) :

Alpinestars SP-S

full-grain leather, carbon knuckles, kevlar+leather palm, double-layered fingers

$69

·
Registered
254 Posts

I did it once, but looked ridiculous so i never did it again..
and my shorts kept pulling upward so it was uncomfortable...

they are definitely comfortable as I can wear them for the ride to school, and keep them on during class (about 4 hours)

I wear my leg armor under my icon strongarm jeans usually, but sometimes I ride in regular jeans (lucky, oakley, ae, etc) and they are pretty discrete.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Yes on the Merc gloves. I baught a pair this past season and they fit nicely! Well protected.
I've heard a lot of bad things about them online, and I was going to purchase them anyways at the local shop because they were a good price. They advised me not to. I have a* sp2 gloves now.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I would go with a serious boot, one that comes up the calf, like an SMX-4 or SMX-5. I know those are both good boots for the money, and comfortable too. Breaking an ankle sucks, trust me.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
+1, Good that you are looking at gear first rather than buying a bike and then thinking about it. The shark helmet is great, Dainses jacket is nice. I personaly like a full gauntlet glove, I've got the A* GP Plus and Teknic Speedstar, the Teknic is built like a tank, but not great for the street because they are hard to put on and take off, the A*is not as protective but very easy to take on and off. I also like a full boot, like Jason said, the SMX4 and SMX5 are good, but I like Sidi B-2 or (if you can find them) the Vertebrae is awsome, all of those boots are good and don't feel like a race boot, meaning they are comfortable to walk around in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts