Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 98 zx6r..
Ever since I got my 6r I've noticed that it lacks power on the lower rpms.
When I first start the bike with the choke, the bike revs at little over 4000rpms and it dies about 10 secs later..
I heard this was pretty normal and it does get better after being warmed up..

However, I've noticed that when I come to a sudden stop, the rpm drops down quickly and goes to zero and the bike shuts down..
I've also noticed that when I'm traveling around 5 or higher rpms and pull the clutch in the bike shuts down..

Once I came to a quick stop on the freeway and the bike shut down and wouldn't start again..it was very dangerous for me to pull my bike out of the way...

I took it to a local shop but the guy keeps telling me everything is normal...

what should I do???
Is anyone familiar with this problem or have experienced similar problems??

·
Registered
329 Posts
First you shouldn't let your bike see more than 3000 rpm while cold in neutral. Not good to overrev a motor with no load on it, especially cold. Also excessive heat from headers with no airflow has been known to melt the plastic cooling fans. As soon as you get out of your driveway, take the choke completley off. The motor does not need choke while moving, only throttle. Crank the idle up until it sounds smooth, factory tach's are not accurate under 2000 rpm. Try that & see what happens.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The stock clocks come with a relative error (a percentage) and so show less absolute error at low revs than high revs. The proper idle speed accounts for the error, so you can use the clocks to set the idle speed.

It does not hurt to set the idle speed a bit high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've already tried adjusting the idle speed and it did not work..
Also, I can't get the bike to warm up without the choke on..it sputters badly without the choke and dies without it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We are having the same problems with the same bikes. First I was told it was my plugs so I got some new ones put in and it still does everything your explainin'. I'mn gonna talk to my mechanic tomorrow and let you know you do the same and see if we get 2 different answers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it to a kawi dealer...
they are telling me that it is probably the carbs..
and that they'll need to clean it..
I'll let you know how it turns out after the service...

Thank you guys..

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Originally posted by Rob Lee
The idle speed may be too low. The proper idle speed for your bike is 1,050 ± 50 rpm.

This sounds about right but I think that it could be slightly higher, but not too much higher because the bike in question is a California model and they all have higher idles compared to 49-staters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.