Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... So I left my bike outside of my apartment(usually pull it in the front door)a couple weeks ago. Some one had the nerve to steal my brake light. Needless to say I was pissed... So I had to order a new brake light. Got it and put it on. Fine no big deal.

So I take the bike out for a ride just a few minutes ago and what happens... No front brake pressure at all!!! So Im like WTF... Ride slow to my friends house and downshift and use rear brake to slow down (He lives 1 mile away) Go through a right turn and the front is skidding all over the place. Get to his place and I find out that the banjo bolt for the right front caliper is loose and theres now brake fluid all over the right side of the wheel.

So Im thinking who the Hell hates me enough or is a$$hole enough to steal my brake light and loosen a brake line bolt to let fluid drip everywhere when I use the brakes...

Sorry for the long drawn out story... But this is what I need to know. So now the brake fluid in the resevoir is below the low level and there is no brake pressure at all... Is it as simple as bleeding the brakes or is it more involved than that? And can some one point me in the right direction on how to bleed brakes. Thanks!!!

For reference its a 2003 zx6rr.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Bleeding the brakes takes two people if you don't have a speed bleeder, and it should be as simple as bleeding the brakes.

Tighten all the bolts and such, and clean off that brake fluid (it'll ruin finishes pretty quiclky). Top off the fluid reservoir. At the bottom of the caliper there's a little nipple. There's a nut fitting on that nipple. Basically have one person sitting on the bike...pump the brakes a few times to build up pressure (or as much as possible), then have them hold the brake in as far as they can...hold a funnel under the nipple on the caliper to drain the fluid into a catch pan or cup or what not. Loosen that nut, and wait until all the air comes out and solid fluid is coming out, then tighten it, check the fluid level, add more if neccicary. Keep repeating the pump-hold-bleed-tighten thing until you're just getting pure fluid out and the brake pressure is steady, and keep checking the reservoir to make sure it's always topped off. And don't re-use old brake fluid. Easy as pie.

Oh, make sure the person holding the brake lever in keeps it held the whole time the bleeding nut is loose. They can let up on the lever once you've tightened the nut back up after each rep, but they have to keep firm pressure on it while that bleeder valve is open.

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
i couldnt have said it better myself...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Aye. And using a piece of tubing over the end of the nipple will safely dump the fluid into a catch pan instead of making a mess all over your brakes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great... Thanks everyone for the replies. Ill have to get to that over the weekend. Any specific fluid you guys use?

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Heres another trick for bleeding breaks. You can start with an empty reservoir, DOT4 break fluid (or whatever is recommended), Clear hose for fish tank air lines and a clear bottle with a spout cap (something like an old cafe katchup bottle only you want clear, can be picked up at any beauty supply store) Now fill your bottle with fluid and slid 1 end of hose on the cap, slid other end of hose on nipple on break caliper and take covor off resevoir. Place a towel around and under resevoir to catch overflow. Crack the nipple open and squeeze lightly to fill fluid from caliper up to the resevoir. Works great and the way I do it when I do a flush. Think of it this way...do the air bubbles want to raise or sink? They want to raise, so then why not help them by pushing them up instead of fighting them to push down. Just a trick I learned from some track guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.