Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... follow up from the nology wires thing... I got em working. Changed to non-resistor style plugs and she runs now. Only thing is it only runs when I spray starting fluid in it... I cant keep it running. Tank has new gas in it, I emptied out the old gas before, fuel petcock is on, all lines are in correct places. Is there something I should know about getting fuel to the bike?! I cant figure this one out. Please help me asap! Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't think starting fluid used occassionally will hurt anything. There are a couple or three potential problem areas. There is a fuel filter, a fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Any or all of these could be keeping fuel from getting to the carbs.

Use other than NGK or Denso plugs at your peril.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do I drain the carbs? I am really inexperienced with carburetion... more a fuel injection guy! So how much harm would I have done by using a bunch of starting fluid?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If an engine has not been run for a while there is only a thin layer of oil on the cylinder walls. When you spray starting fluid in it you completely dry the walls causing wear to your piston rings.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Look on the right side of the bike, by your right knee and you will see a black knob that is used to adjust the idle. If you follow that cable you will come to the float bowl on the right side carb. On the very bottom of the carb should be a little plastic cone thingy. If you look across you should see four of them. Inside that cone thingy is a 3mm allen screw. Open that and fuel will drain from the bottom nipple on the float bowl. If you catch it in a container you will be able to see if you have contamination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.