Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i did the diag on my bike and i got 2 codes, a 34 and a 63.
34= exhaust butterfly sensor malfunction, wiring open or short
63=exhaust butterfly actuator malfuntion, wiring open or short

WTF does that even mean???? im desprately searching the sevrvice manual for options....any help is better than none. thanks guys

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
you have aftermarket exhaust? with the servo fix? maybe it came loose.
OE exhaust?
pull the seat, and turn the key on. watch the servo motor.
does it do anything?

its probably stuck. its somewhat common

in either case, if the servo motor is bad, you can replace it with another, or get the ivans servo eliminator kit.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/other.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have a yoshi, but ive had this setup for 3 yrs. also it only does it when its hot....the yoshi came with the servo kit...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
make sure the servo bracket is tightened down and has not come loose. if you turn the key on and you hear the normal whining and your servo doesn't move, that's bad. mine froze up on me. i replaced it. you can try to break it loose, but accordign to the manual, there are plastic teeth inside that are pretty fragile. either way, if you fuck it up that way, you're going to need a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i thought about that too, my yosh braket and butterfly piece are tight as can be, i took the servo completely off the bike and even took it apart to see...nothing seemed out of the ordinary. did a resistance check before taking the bike out and right after it started acting up on me no difference, ( manual said sensor resistance should be between 4 and 6 ohms, i was at 4.8 both times) im fuggin stumped...i dont see how it can be the servo if it only dies on me when its hot...i guess i can see the electronics getting too hot and messing with the resistance to the servo, that could cause the sensor to act up i suppose, but i dont get why it makes the bike sputter, i took off from a light today while it was actin a fool and it acted like it wanted to die...then about a 1/4 mile down the road it just died on me....wouldnt start for like 10 mins. the bike will run its balls off until it gets about 220 degrees or so. i dunno...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well....
I'm afraid you have the great "my bike dies after 20min of hard driving" problem...
Read this: http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=106083
and many other threads in this forum.
I'm sending my 636 to the dealer tomorrow for this damn thing.
I have come to the conclusion that it is a harness thing but I wanna see what the dealer has to say...

·
Registered
254 Posts
you can rebuild everything in that servo box. i had FI light coming on for the servo. i didnt hear it move at all when i turned key on. so i took it out, dissasembled completely, cleaned lubed reassembled and light hasnt come back on. no special tools maybe a pocket screwdriver for prying the tabs apart on the motor that drives the servo (brushes inside were totally worn/black/barely making contact)

make sure to clean the contacts on the potentiometer (the positioning sensor)

light hasnt come on in 6 months. no parts required i already had the dielectric grease and contact cleaner. just had to spend an hour or so doin it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts