Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an easy way to determine if my clutch fibers and/or plates are worn out? My clutch still works but it feels like it barely grabs the gears when i shift compared to about a year ago.

About a few month ago i've noticed that my clutch feel's softer and doesn't seem to "grab" the gears as hard as it used to when i'm shifting and leting the lever back out. But i've been riding on this clutch for a few months now and it still drives fine. How do i know when my clutch fibers need to be replaced? I don't wana buy a clutch kit if i don't have to, but then again can i keep riding on this clutch until it COMPLETLEY stops working? (or will this mess up the entire trany?) Also, which gear will start slipping out first under hard acceleration? I've only had 6th gear slip out into neutral a couple times with WOT. I've not had any problems with 1st or 2nd slipping but i have hit several false neutrals recently.

Another thing to mention, i do lots of clutch wheelies at higher rpm's (around 7 or 8k) and recently i've noticed that when i clutch up 2nd gear, it feels like the cluth is slipping the entire time the rpms are dropping back down. I'd say it slips (front wheel stays on ground) for about 1 full second after i let the clutch back out and then it engages and grabs 2nd gear to pull the front end up. Is this messing up my trany or not? i just don't want to end up doing more damage to the bike by riding on a worn out clutch. Or does this not hurt the clutch at all and is it ok to just keep riding on this until it's completly shot?

what do i do? any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
just bite the bullet and get a new clutch. you already know its going on you or else you wouldn't have made this thread. no sense in waiting till it gives out on you in the middle of nowhere or in an emergency situation that could wind up getting you hurt.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
put it in 4th gear at about 30 & roll WOT & if its gonna slip it will likely do it then, as far as how to tell which ones need to be replaced, i'd think thats pretty cut throat but just pull the plates out & set them down IN ORDER OF WHAT YOU TOOK OUT & find the bad apples, check your steels for any bluing & replace them if needed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts