Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
F'ing Catilina Wine Mixer
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I layed my bike down on the left hand side and when i went to pick up my bike the handlebars when turned to the left locked position go beyond he stopping point and goes all the way to touch my tank and my horn touches my gas tank and honks. If i twist my handlebars all the way to the right side it stops perfectly. how can i fix this. what stops the handlebars? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
810 Posts
you probably twisted the clipon around the fork (the tube they clamp to). This happens all the time when you down the bike. It happened to me too. Look underneath the clip on and see if you broke the set-screw which goes UP into the triple tree, because thats what usually happens (this screw is ment to prevent the clip ons from moving around). There is an additional screw behind the clipon which tightens it around the fork as well.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i looked i didn't exactly see a clip on at all on the fork. i have a 2005 zx-6r and when i turned it back and forth i found out that a piece of metal under the handlebars stopped the handle bars from moving. or am i wrong? do you guys have any pictures or links? i dont know exactly what word to search for. thanks for your help though guys!

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
turn the bars all the way to the right. then from under, look at the bottom of the left bars(clip on) u will see a set screw, an allen i believe.
and more than likely u will see that the hole for the screw will be busted out. allowing the clipon to rotate slightly on the fork.
loosen the bolts to the clipon, turn it till the hole where the set screw is supposed to be. and retighten it. you should be good to go.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I took pictures so maybe I can understand better.

The first picture shows the only set of allen screws located on the left fork. Are thoes the screws I need to tighten?

The second picture shows the metal piece that I believe is what is stopping the handlebars that move. Or am I wrong?

The third picture is another angle of the left fork. Can you guys show me where the clipon is? I am so confused! Thanks again!

·
Registered
810 Posts
nope. The first pick is the pinch screws which stop the forks from rotating around the upper and lower trees (the metal things they go through at 2 different points). The set screw that we're talking to is almost directly beneath your signal controls in picture three, but you can't see it in the pic. There will be another tightening screw of the same size sort of BEHIND the controls shown in picture 3. I wish i had a camera right now to show u. Hold up i'll get a schematic

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I FINALLY FOUND IT! yea the screw that screws up to secure the left handle bar broke off completely. where can i buy this screw? home depot?

thanks for all your help pinksnyper!

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
its more likely not the screw thats broke, but the upper triple tree itself.
you have the option of getting another one.. its expensive and sorta a pain to change.
or u can do like i already said, and loosen the pinch bolts for the clipons, and turn them tuill its lined back up and retighten.
BTW the clipons, are the bars, what you hold on to when you ride. where the grips are. basically they are handle bars. but these clip on. instead of being 1 peice, theres 2. hence the name clipons.

·
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you are right. i broke the whole hole that the bolt goes into. so i did what you said nevada and just loosen the clip on and straigthen it to where the second bolt would have went and just retighten. i learned a lot today. thanks a lot guys! :)

oh yea its fixed too! i made sure to tighten that one screw really really tight! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.