Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 208 ninja 250r with 10 miles on it, its a beautiful bike. but i think their might be something wrong internaly. when i turn the engine over i have to have the choke on or she wont turn, i dont think this is normal, and the rpm's stay at around 1100-1200 which i think might be pretty low. and if i just sit in neutral and let the engine warm up after 20 or 30 seconds the rpm's will lower and she'll die, i have to tease the throttle to keep the engine alive. and whenever i've ridden her around the neighborhood she dies when stopped at stop signs unless i keep her reved around 2000. and i dont want to take her out for a ride until i get this whole mess straightened out, so plz help

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I bought a 208 ninja 250r with 10 miles on it, its a beautiful bike. but i think their might be something wrong internaly. when i turn the engine over i have to have the choke on or she wont turn, i dont think this is normal, and the rpm's stay at around 1100-1200 which i think might be pretty low. and if i just sit in neutral and let the engine warm up after 20 or 30 seconds the rpm's will lower and she'll die, i have to tease the throttle to keep the engine alive. and whenever i've ridden her around the neighborhood she dies when stopped at stop signs unless i keep her reved around 2000. and i dont want to take her out for a ride until i get this whole mess straightened out, so plz help
Hey Sherlock.......did you see it start up when you bought it?? Did it have the same problems?? Did you buy it from a dealer or private seller??

My bike starts fine without the choke, but I live in So Cal, so the weather is oh so pretty and nice. I know that these bikes need a lot of help from the choke in colder climate states. The idle should be around 1300 I believe. Did you read your owner's manual??

You can adjust the idle setting with the little knob on the left side where the fairing and black part meets. Try that.

As always, someone with more knowledge will give you more advice and details.

I would recommend searching the forum as well as this topic has been discussed before.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i bought the bike from a private seller, and i started it up and it ran fine for a couple min before i shut her off. i hav read the owners manual but i thought maybe it was a problem with the starter? i've heard of quite a few of 08 250s whose had to have their starters replaced. just wanted to check with someone who has more experience than i with bikes.

·
Kawi for Life!
1,610 Posts
if it only has 10 miles it should still be under some kind of warrenty.... ?!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'd check the idle adjustment and make sure the choke is off when the bike is running. Apart from that perhaps a vacuum leak, the bike is new enough the dealer should fix it under warranty although I don't know if the warranty is transferable.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Set the idle to 1350 rpm once it is fully warm up. (about 10minutes after starting from cold)

To start the bike when it's cold, you need to flip the choke on to get it started. Once started, the idle will gain rpms as the bike slowly warms up. Back off the choke a bit to keep the idle between 1500 and 2000 when warming. Once warm, turn the choke off completely.

I have not heard that a lot of 08 250s have had their starters replaced. Where did you get that from? :confused:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
i bought the bike from a private seller, and i started it up and it ran fine for a couple min before i shut her off. i hav read the owners manual but i thought maybe it was a problem with the starter? i've heard of quite a few of 08 250s whose had to have their starters replaced. just wanted to check with someone who has more experience than i with bikes.
First of all let me get my boots on.

Someone sold a bike after only putting 10 miles on it. Mine came with 5 on it from the dealer. How much did you pay for this bike?

When you start the bike, with the choke on, you need to let it run , with the choke on, for more than 20-30 seconds. It takes the bike a few minutes to warm up, sometimes with the choke on the entire time. Don't ride the bike until the bike is fully warmed up. After the bike is warmed up completely you should adjust the idle.

I haven't heard of any bikes having starter problems. You might have gotten a lemon. Where do you live? I'll take that piece of junk off your hands and even pay you a few hundred bucks. Think about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts