Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i did my 2nd oil change to my 08 zx6r at 3016 miles today and the oil pressure light is still on? Anyone else have this problem I know i did not change it wrong ive done this many times before. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
There is a post in the how to section about burping the bike after an oil change. I have never done it that way, but I guess it works. All I do is drain the oil, remove old filter. Then put a new filter on and fill the oil up to about 3.5 quarts. Then with the filler cap off I start the bike and let it run for a few seconds. After that I turn it off and put the remainder of the required oil in. I have never had a problem and I have almost 6k miles and I do oil changes at every 1k. I say just remove he filler cap start the bike then put it back on. If that doesn't work. try draining about a quart start it with the cap off then put the a new quart in it.

PS don't rev the engine with the cap off it flings oil all over

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
How long did you let it run for after the oil change? How much oil did you put in? And what level shows in the sight glass?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seriously FUCK kawasaki and their oil systems. I had a z1000 and it did the SAME thing. It is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous that you cannot change the oil without stressing the fuck out that your motor is being damaged while their shitty oil system slowly primes. I have NEVER owned another vehicle or motorcycle that took more then a few seconds to regain pressure after an oil change. Yet both my kawis had the problem. Really pisses me off when a BRAND NEW bike is running for 20-25 seconds (and my z1000 had to run for more then that at times) to regain pressure after an oil change. Now everytime I hear the lifters I think of it, argghh.

Absolutely unacceptable that you should need to burp it. Shit, the service manual doesn't even call for prefilling the filter. According the official procedure in the service manual you just slap the filter on dry and put some oil in and go. Ridiculous.

After looking through the service manual I see there is an air bleed bolt above the filter. Of course, no mention of using it whatsoever in the manual. It is in a horrible spot but it looks like you may be able to get to it with a pivoting ratcheting wrench. I will use it next time I change the oil. You simply crack it open, run the motor, and close it. It will force any air out and if you just crack it, some oil may seep out but nothing should spray. Looks like that should work and solve any issues, but it still really really bugs me that the motor ran for even 20-25 seconds without or with low oil pressure. With a brand new bike I just worry about it all the time.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Was the filter a genuine Kawsaki filter? It seems that when I use the OEM filters the oil system air locks and had to be "BURPED". I have done oil changes with a jobber filters and didn't have any problems getting oil pressure.

I'm thinking it could have something to do with the check valve in the filter. I've done some research and it seems like the cheap filters don't have the valve. It has to do with the fact the filter is side mounted and the valve is engineered to keep some oil in the filter and not let it all drain back into the pan to avoid the very problem it was put there to prevent. Dry starts. Ironic how that is.

Only thing I can suggest is fill it part full run it then fill it to the recommended level or get good at burping the filter which is easier on the 07-08 compared to the 00-02. I find it easier anyway.

Habs

·
Registered
150 Posts
No, using a purolator pureone filter.. The problem is with the oil pump/design. The check valves work as they should. The problem is priming after the space between the pump and filter is dry. "burping" the filter should not be necessary and can be very very messy. I will use the "bleed bolt" next time. It is above and slightly left off center of the oil filter. Looks like a 10mm bolt with an aluminum crush washer. Either way, kawis oil systems piss me off. No reason you shouldn't be able to slap a filter on dry and have the light go off within seconds, their design is flawed, on many of their bikes.

Next filter change I will be removing a fuel injection fuse so the bike cannot run and using the "air bleed" bolt. I will update.. it will probably be another week before I change it again though. I wish I would have known it would do it, and done this in the first place. I didn't figure a goddamn brand new bike would have the same issue my dated z1000 did. And now maybe it has been damaged, maybe it hasnt been, I sure can't tell, but it bugs the shit out of me, but it couldn't have been good for it. Ran for 20-25 seconds id say, maybe less, that is a long time.

·
Registered
801 Posts
4 oil changes and no problems with mine, 2 genuine Kawi filters and 2 K&N. also, i fill my oil filter up with oil and let it soak the oil up, usually do it twice then put it on that way the engine isnt running with no oil in the filter what so ever. sorry your having problems, and ive never heard of this "burp"method.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've only had the light stay on once on my old 02 ZX6R. I googled it and found the burp thing. I cracked the filter off a few threads didn't lose any oil and it solved the problem. I haven't encountered this condition on the new bike yet. I've only done one oil change though.

Priming the filter does seem like a good technique but with the placement of the filter on the 07-08 it could be quite messy. It's bad enough getting the damn thing off with out getting dirty oil all over the side of the engine.

I'm not sure what else to say. If the lack of oil results in engine damage try to claim it under warranty maybe. If you have warranty of course. If you change the oil by the book and it air locks and causes engine damage I'd say that's something that could be claimed under warranty.

Habs

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
i have heard of people having this problem , i never have but i always fill my filter when i change it ...over 27000 stunt miles on my 03 636

·
Registered
150 Posts
I called Kawasaki, he told me that the oil light staying on for "some time" is normal for the oil to be recirculated and that you should not rev the engine out. He also said that prefilling is unnecessary and he does not recommend it. Gahhh no help really. He also said that using the air bleed bolt was unnecessary and the only time an air pocket is really caused is if the bike is dropped.

·
Registered
801 Posts
how exactly is it not recommended? thats what i hate about the stealership, they think they know everything just becuase they are a mechanic, but when you take your bike in for some thing you KNOW is wrong they are always like "nahh its normal" f*ck them! theres nothing wrong with letting your filter soak up some oil befor putting it on, just dont put to much much to where it doesnt soak anymore and has standing oil in it and wont be no mess when putting it on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts