Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the only key that I have to my bike at the beach yesterday. The bike luckily was at home but I am just wondering what I can do at this point. If it means anything, I have an 05 636.

·
Registered
247 Posts
call a locksmith to cut you a key, or if you bought it new go back to the dealer they should be able to cut you one from the vin number

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
When I bought a bike dealer gave me the key number engraved on a little aluminum piece. If you know that number they'll be able to cut it, hell...maybe the vin # will do the same? Good luck.

·
Registered
563 Posts
A dealership CANNOT cut you a new key with the VIN.

You can go to a locksmith or have one come to you and they will be able to cut a new key for your ignition. Expect $80 to $120 for their services.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
man a lot of lost keys lately...doesn't anyone listen to the dealer when you buy your bike? lol they tell you don't lose this keytag number. Oh well I guess it happens [:p]

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Dealer cant do anything. I had a locksmith come out and cut a new one. $120........

·
Registered
148 Posts
Question, when you got your bike you were only given one key ? If so damn !!! I received two keys and one of them did come with a small piece of aluminum with a number on it which I can use to have a key duplicated by the dealer.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok so same thing happens to me. I bought my 05 636 used from my local Kawi dealer and I only got 1 key. So long story short, I lost that key and now I need to make a copy. From other posts, everyone keeps saying to just have a locksmith come out and make a copy, and others are saying just with the keycode.
Fortunately for me my local dealer said they'd cut one just with the keycode. So now my problem is I don't know where the keycode is located on the ignition switch. Any help? I did read that to remove the ignition assembly you have to take off the tree and turn in the rivets on the ignition which would suck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Oh yeah and sorry for reviving an old post.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by frankrizzo442
Ok so same thing happens to me. I bought my 05 636 used from my local Kawi dealer and I only got 1 key. So long story short, I lost that key and now I need to make a copy. From other posts, everyone keeps saying to just have a locksmith come out and make a copy, and others are saying just with the keycode.
Fortunately for me my local dealer said they'd cut one just with the keycode. So now my problem is I don't know where the keycode is located on the ignition switch. Any help? I did read that to remove the ignition assembly you have to take off the tree and turn in the rivets on the ignition which would suck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Oh yeah and sorry for reviving an old post.
The keycode is actually not located on the ignition switch. You can find it on the lock mechanism for the rear seat release tho. Take off the tail fairing and using a flash light, look at the body of the seat latch lock, the code should be inscribed on it somewhere. That is where I found mine. It can be hard to see depending on where it is on the lock body but its there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr

The keycode is actually not located on the ignition switch. You can find it on the lock mechanism for the rear seat release tho. Take off the tail fairing and using a flash light, look at the body of the seat latch lock, the code should be inscribed on it somewhere. That is where I found mine. It can be hard to see depending on where it is on the lock body but its there.
Thanks. I'll try this and update with news.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok so I managed to take off the tree & the ignition together & took it to a locksmith. They were able to modify one of their keys & made one to fit the ignition. Only problem now is it won't work with the gas cap or the rearseat. So now It looks like I'm gonna have to find the damn keycode. I called the place where I bought it from & they said it is on the ignition assembly. I'm gonna take it to them & also try to remove the tail fairing. One question, how did you remove the tail fairing? Doesn't it have 2 bolts on the inside underneath the seat as well?

·
Registered
347 Posts
if its the same as a 06 there are 3 black caps on the left side by the seat lock. push in the center to those to remove them, there are two screws under driver seat, and i believe a few under the passenger seat. its not hard to remove. just getting it off and back on is the hard part. best of luck bro.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well I still didn't understand how to remove the rear tail if the seat is still on. Since I didn't have a key to remove the seat, regardless if I took off all the screws on the tail it still doesn't come off. But long story short. I got my keys!!!!

So best place to get your keys if you don't have your keycode is a LOCKSMITH!!!! My local locksmith figured it out & made a key to work on all three; ignition, gas tank & rear seat. Thanks again everyone for your responses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.