Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new bike a week ago. Its a 2000 zx6r. I was riding and the throttle seemed not to respond right away and almost sounded like the engine was starved for fuel. As this was happening it ended up dying. When i went to start it back up it would not start. I thought that was kinda weird and not cool in the case that i was on flat ground and had to run and pop the clutch. Finally it started up and i got to a buddies house. IT sat for a good fifteen to thirty minutes and then i went to start it up and it started up just fine. I rode it for about ten minutes and then it did the same thing. THis time i was at a bottom of a hill and had to push it up and roll and pop the clutch. I finally got it home and i have been diagnosing it ever since. I dont know if it would be a fuel filter? ground?alternator?or even a bad battery? or a combination. I am kinda stumped. If someone has the slightest idea on what is going on i would appreciate it. I really want to get out and ride and its not fun when your bike is not dependable. thanks . Drew

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Fuel for sure. Read down this forum a bit. Within the last week, there has been like three other posts about this exact same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have read the other forums i didnt know if all of these were problems or if it was narrowed down to this exact diagnosis.
Thanks
Drew

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You've been working on it? How did the spark plugs look? How is the air filter? Since its a used bike that you just bought, have you tried dumping the gas, and filling it with a tank of fresh fuel? Also, give it an ounce of Fuel System Cleaner. Chevron Techron or Berryman's B-12 are real good.

BC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How would i go about dumping the gas on the bike? Also what octane should i use on it. I was told to put 91 octane. Is it bad if you put 92 or 93 octane in it? Still learning. Thanks for the advice BC.
Drew

·
Registered
271 Posts
RED3: There's a plate which holds/ leads to the fuel tap on the bottom of the gas tank. Unscrewing this plate allows you to drain the gas completely.

·
Registered
303 Posts
was your fuel tap to the "on" position when this happend? if so turn it to "res".. when i was a newbie i thought something was wrong with my bike when it did the exact same thing and it turns out i just needed to turn the tank to Reserve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey whats up guys. Thanks for the help. I was working on my bike today. I went to start it up and all it did was click. I ended up taking back the new battery that i had just got and had them test it. The battery was bad. As well as the battery that originally came with the bike. I got the new battery and charged it and popped it in. I then went and got a can of 92 octane and filled it up. Ends up that the bike was not getting enough fuel and it was dying due to the bike not getting enough fuel and then it was not starting due to the bad battery. I went out and got on it and rode for a while. It seems to be in tip top shape. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Glad you finally figured it out. Now I'm gonna invest in a battery charger to avoid a similar problem in the future!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Red3
I have a 2000 as well, great bike. On the fuel tank I have a sticker that says I should use not less than 95 Octane.
Do you have this sticker?
I use 98 Octane. Do a search on 'octane' or 'fuel' and you will see the thread on what type of octane or fuel people use.

Anyway, welcome, good purchase and ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where do you get 95 octane? no the sticker on the top of my tank was taken off before i bought it. The stations around here only go to about 92/93 octane. Do you put fuel additive or is this really necessary every time you fill the tank.
Thanks drew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.