Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the 250 section too hope thats ok. Just want as many opions as possible since im gettin a either one soon.

Im deciding between the ninja 250 2nd gen or the ninja 650 1st gen.
Ive had a sv650 and a cbr 600f4i.Have neither anymore.So im not a total newb.
The whole reason Im considering a 250 is ive read and heard how much fun they can be. What ill be using the bike for is week night twisties, weekend trips and a few trackdays over the summer.

Some concerns
Ill miss the power. Im only 135 so that will help.
Two up riding possible? Well I know its possible... but how is it?
General freeway riding? Good for long hauls?
Generally going from big bikes to a small one.
Am I missing any other ones?

So I just cant decide again I like the fun factor of the 250 and the 650r seems to be a great all around bike. Also the 250 is a bit cheaper around here 3k for a nice used one low miles, which concerns me a little Ive seen alot with low miles( why are some many selling em). 650 around 3500-4k

Im posting this on the kawi forum too Id just like to get as many opinions as I can since this will be my only bike for a few yrs.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
get the 650. 250s are good untill you feel the power of a 600 then they just feel pitiful. and for the record 4th gen 250 is 08 and up

·
Registered
559 Posts
So I just cant decide again I like the fun factor of the 250 and the 650r seems to be a great all around bike. Also the 250 is a bit cheaper around here 3k for a nice used one low miles, which concerns me a little Ive seen alot with low miles( why are some many selling em). 650 around 3500-4k

So many people are selling them because they're usually beginner bikes and people get bored of the power, etc. I'd say go for the 650, it'll be better for two up riding for sure. It's possible on a 250 but it's not the greatest feeling.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The 250 costs less and is safer for track days- your low weight will help it feel faster, and the cost savings could be used for better parts. The 650 is better for a passenger and longer trips.

For more money, I would consider the Triumph Street Triple R or the Kawasaki Ninja 1000.

For less money, a used Ninja 500 or a used ZZR600 are good deals.

Other possibilities are a Kawasaki KLR 650 or a Harley XR1200 for dirt and street styling, or the Suzuki 400cc Supermoto or one of the KTM or Aprilia Supermotos, more for shorter trips and tighter corners with a dirt bike feel, either to bring up old dirt bike memories or for something different and very light, if your legs are long enough for them.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You're not a newbie, so either bike would be good for you.

The 250 is great fun, but for an all rounder that can cope well with a passenger or a long highway trip I'd go for the 650.

If it's commuting and twisties only you might enjoy the 250 more.

I also thought about the Street Triple (or Triple R - my owm bike), but I think that that's probably more power than you need, and it isn't a cheap or a frugal bike. I can't understand why anyone would sugest a litre bike given your original post.

A lot of people buy 250s then decide that they're bored and need more power before they've properly learned to ride them, which means that are bargains to pick up. That might, in the end, be the decider for you.

Rob

·
Registered
329 Posts
Some people also sell them because they get put off by motorcycle in general (a bad fall, close call, nagging from a loved-one, etc.)

That's how I got my bike; the kid got put off because a traffic close call freaked him out. These sellers are usually highly motivated to bargain.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Not new to riding? Go grab another 6, man.

get the 650. 250s are good untill you feel the power of a 600 then they just feel pitiful. and for the record 4th gen 250 is 08 and up
So many people are selling them because they're usually beginner bikes and people get bored of the power, etc. I'd say go for the 650, it'll be better for two up riding for sure. It's possible on a 250 but it's not the greatest feeling.
I too think you'll get bored very quickly considering you already know how a 600 class bike feels. There are plenty inexpensive 599 cc bikes out there if that's your concern.

The 250 costs less and is safer for track days- your low weight will help it feel faster, and the cost savings could be used for better parts. The 650 is better for a passenger and longer trips.

For more money, I would consider the Triumph Street Triple R or the Kawasaki Ninja 1000.

For less money, a used Ninja 500 or a used ZZR600 are good deals.

Other possibilities are a Kawasaki KLR 650 or a Harley XR1200 for dirt and street styling, or the Suzuki 400cc Supermoto or one of the KTM or Aprilia Supermotos, more for shorter trips and tighter corners with a dirt bike feel, either to bring up old dirt bike memories or for something different and very light, if your legs are long enough for them.
:headshake: Jeff....your posts make me sad. 250 safer on the track? Not so much. You can eat shit just as hard on a 250 as you can on a 600 considering most crashes happen in and around the corners. Cash savings for better parts? For what? Definitely not for power gains, appearance modifications maybe (seat cowl, windscreen).

Please don't ever put the 500 and ZZR600 in the same sentence. They're night and day different. I understand they're less expensive than a late model ZX6R (a 500 shouldn't cost any more than a 250), but that's the only similarity, and a stretch at that. The ZZR should not to be underestimated or thought of as sub-par. Definitely not true.

Reactions: dSeldom

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
The original poster had a 600cc 4-cylinder sportbike before, so the ZZR600 or a Ninja 1000 would be similar at different ends of the price range and comfort range.

The 250 Ninja would be a lot lighter and harder to crash in a corner than a heavier bike- from my reading about the 250 it is very difficult to slide the tires at any time on a dry track. A gradual progression from the 250 Ninja to the 500 Ninja to the Suzuki or Kawasaki 650 to a 600cc 4-cylinder to the Suzuki 750 four to the 1000cc sportbikes is the wisest on a track, to minimize the crash risks but not eliminate them, although many skip some of the steps to save money.

Ideally I would have a light KTM or Aprilia supermoto for short trips on curvy pavement, and a huge Triumph Rocket III for riding 500 miles a day. My compromise is a 600cc cruiser for short trips and a ZZR600 for longer trips, especially to get to curvy roads like Deals Gap. I do not do track days- too much money, and I might get addicted and want to spend even more.

·
Hooligan
1,704 Posts
You're not a newbie, so either bike would be good for you.

The 250 is great fun, but for an all rounder that can cope well with a passenger or a long highway trip I'd go for the 650.

If it's commuting and twisties only you might enjoy the 250 more.

I also thought about the Street Triple (or Triple R - my owm bike), but I think that that's probably more power than you need, and it isn't a cheap or a frugal bike. I can't understand why anyone would sugest a litre bike given your original post.

A lot of people buy 250s then decide that they're bored and need more power before they've properly learned to ride them, which means that are bargains to pick up. That might, in the end, be the decider for you.

Rob
street triple isnt a litre bike ..

SPEED triple is

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Ninja 1000- 125 horsepower

2009 ZX-6R- 134 horsepower (with ram air)

2009 ZX-10R- 200 horsepower

A liter sportbike would be a step up from a Honda cbr 600f4i this person owned previously, but not an unreasonable step up after owning both a 650 twin and a 600 4-cylinder.

People often skim read and jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I had a 250 and later bought a 650 instead. I have never looked back and I love it dearly. I dont think id go back to a 250 after riding my 650 for a year now.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
street triple isnt a litre bike ..

SPEED triple is
I didn't say it was. As I own one I'm unlikely not to know how big it is.

Jeff - a litre bike would be fine for the OP, but he isn't looking for one. I get the impression that he wants the smallest bike that will fit his needs, so the real question is, will the 250 do that?

I agree with your comments about compromise. For me, the Street Triple R is effectively a better ER-6 that does everything - twisties, commuting and touring - but like I said somewhere, I don't think the OP is looking for that much power or the sub 40 mpg (US) fuel consumption.

Rob

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
OP, good luck on your search for a bike. Sorry to see this thread turn into a conglomeration of crap you didn't ask about along with information on bikes from people who have never ridden them.

I'll give advice based on my experience rather than some BS I found on wikipedia. You've already had a 600, so get another one. I could not imagine going below the power of a 599 cc bike. They handle like a dream, are light, and get great mileage even if you beat on them. a ZZR600 is considered a sport touring bike according to insurance companies, so that's where that bike is at an advantage over the late model supersport 600's. It's carbureted though, which may or may not matter to you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
+1 for the Street Triple.

This thread has somewhat degenerated, but I aim to degenerate it further.

I'm not sure where 'here' is as I'm not clear if you are in the US or not.

That said, it is fairly difficult to find used Street Triples. They are well loved by their owners and when they do come up used, they are priced very close to new.

I wasn't clear if you prefer new or used, but a 250 at $3k is definitely used.

I own 7 bikes. I rode my girlfriend's 2010 250 about 150 miles recently to move it and get new tires put onto it. It was a hoot! I'm not 165, but 6'4" and 250. While the ergos are set for her, I found it a riot to ride on the street and highway.

The new 08's and newer 250's are not really well set up for a passenger. Earlier models are much better.

Look the point of this thread is kinda BS. Get what you want. You're going to do that anyway. Who cares what I think or what someone else thinks. You know your finances, riding style, and you on the bike will be the one to determine comfort.

Jimmy

·
Registered
13 Posts

That said, it is fairly difficult to find used Street Triples. They are well loved by their owners and when they do come up used, they are priced very close to new.

I own 7 bikes. I rode my girlfriend's 2010 250 about 150 miles recently to move it and get new tires put onto it. It was a hoot! I'm not 165, but 6'4" and 250. While the ergos are set for her, I found it a riot to ride on the street and highway.

The new 08's and newer 250's are not really well set up for a passenger. Earlier models are much better.

Look the point of this thread is kinda BS. Get what you want. You're going to do that anyway. Who cares what I think or what someone else thinks. You know your finances, riding style, and you on the bike will be the one to determine comfort.

Jimmy

I couldnt agree more with OC Jimmy.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I'll throw in one last comment. Larry says that he can't imagine going below 599cc. That's fair enough, but the OP is asking about exactly that, and as he can't imagine it it makes his contribution valueless.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with everyone's general advise that the Ninja 250 is a great bike and great bang for the $. I trained on a 250 but chose the Ninja 650R for my first bike and I love it. 2007 with 24k+ on it and going great. You mentioned on you needs that you wanted it for weekend trips. If you are on the highway at all you may be a little annoyed at the lack of hp. The 650R is less $ than most 600s and has plenty of power an is still light weight (but > 250). Just my two bits. Good luck and either way I'm sure you have fun.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Jimmy
I couldnt agree more with OC Jimmy.
Same here !!!!
That said, it is fairly difficult to find used Street Triples. They are well loved by their owners and when they do come up used, they are priced very close to new
100% Right coz i was looking to get me one as the dealer told me it is a little hard to keep the use one's that's if we ever get them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts