Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, read thru this and see if you can help me out.

my bike keeps cutting out on me bad at around half throttle to wide open throttle. it feels like when i get on it to pass a car or just fucking around that something is killing the power to the engine. like hitting the kill switch off,on off,on off,on. at first i thought water in the gas wich i did have a little in the tank. but i have taken the tank off, pump out, and cleaned tank, flushed pump 3 times.
it's a 04'zx6rr with bout 16,000 miles. never wrecked. always done rutine maintenence and rode the hell out of it like it was meant. no redlining burnouts or stupid shit. i don't want to put it in a shop, sorry but i don't trust nobody to mess with my bike but this one has got me stumped.

i'm thinking fuel pump, injecters, plugs or hopefully not something elecrtical. i have use of some used parts that i know are good but hopefully someone here can shed some light before i start swapping parts.

any help or advice is GREATLY apreciated! let me know if you need more info about the bike.

thanks, warbuk

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pump. My car acted the same exact way a while ago until it just went off under any throttle, which led to me needing a new fuel pump. Not sure if it would cause the same effect on a bike, but I'd start there.

Either that or you destroyed it doing clutch ups:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Have you checked the nuts that hold the battery wires on? If they're loose you could have the engine miss. Also, how about the fuel filter?#13;#10;#13;#10;Start with the simple stuff first. And check the electrical connections in the ignition system.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is #13;#10;#13;#10; ??

i did think about the fuel filter but where is it? all I've seen is a black box like thing that is attached to the fuel pump. other than that the fuel line goes straight to the fuel rail. i will check the battery too. i'm gonna put another tank on off of a friends bike to see if the pump is bad. on the way home just now, i noticed when it starts dieing if i pull the clutch in then it will rev up fine. but when i release the clutch and put it back under load then it starts dieing again. in neutral, it idles fine, and revs fine. i can max out the rpm's and it's fine but under torque it misses.

dam clutch up wheeli's lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sounds like it could be a loose connection only affected by torque. Have you tried to rev it with no load? Maybe loose ground somewhere?

·
Registered
474 Posts
My thought would be fuel. I'd start with the basic shit like fuel filter, fuel pump, etc. Check your owner's manual- I honestly don't even know if the damn thing came with a fuel filter. If it does, I'd start with that. ;)

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice guys. yes it'll rev fine under NO load but when i'm in any gear and open the throttle half to wot it starts cutting out. i've rode it all weekend. if i just cruze it does fine but if i get on it some, like to pass a car it starts acting up. shit has got me puzzled. it'll do great cruzing, idling, revved up to redline in nuetral or clutch pulled in with it in gear. it'll rev up and idle back down without a sputter but under torque it starts fucking up. my thoughts on it was fuel or fuel pump fuel filter but wouldn't it act up all the time, not just under load? i'm gonna start tearing shit apart so hopefully i'll find it. just wanted to see if anybody knew something. thanks....warbuk

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds a lot like what my car did before it really started giving me problems. When it finally died, it would stall under any accel when in gear, which sucked b/c I was in traffic, and the only way I could get off to a side street was slipping the clutch enough so it didn't die and giving just enough gas so it would keep rolling. Any more gas with the clutch even partially engaged and the engine cut out.

Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe try to rev it up in neutral and pull on some harness wires/connections. Sounds like something is breaking a connection when the engine/frame is under torque. Sounds electrical the way you describe on/off/on/off? Maybe a harness rubbed/shorted from movement? Keep after it, dont give up.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I had the same problem with my bike at around 20,000 miles. I could rev the bike up in neutral fine but under a load she would cut out around 10krpm. I went and replaced my fuel pump wit a used one and the problem went away. You can try to clean the screen on the bottom of the pump, you have to actually take the pump apart to get to it but see how that works.

Keep us updated.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guy's, i rode it in a toy run yesterday and i talked to some peeps there about it also. the hotrod engine builder guy's said it was sparkplugs. they said with a high compression engine thats got 16k on it with no tune up and had water in the gas once, that it prolly fouled the plugs some and revving it in nuetral it would do fine but under a load it would flood the plugs with gas causing it to cut out. i'll find out cause i was planning on changing the plugs this winter anyway. i'm gonna start with the fuel pump first cause that's the easiest thing to try. i'll keep yall posted...warbuk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Please dont talk to hotrod engine guys, they seems to be laeding you into the wrong direction.

Unless something mechanical hit the plugs a fouled plug on these bikes tends to make the bike run sluggish until it gets really hot and up to temp, then they will run a little cleaner but not perfect.

There is no fuel filter on the Kawasakis from 2003 and up. Like was said there is a fuel filter screen on the end of the pump, you will ahve to remove the pump from the tank and then take the pump apart in order to get to the screen to clean it and the sump out.

My 2003 went into the shop for almost 3 months when I owned it for almost the exact same thing you are describing. Between the shop and I we repalced:

ECU
Coils
Ign pick up
Plugs

Finally we replaced the Cam Sensor and that fixed it. The sensor reads off of the exhaust cam, when cam timing gets off by a little due to excesive cam chain wear or a bad Cam sensor the ECU goes off of the last known good reading. This can cause some high rpm misfires and the jerking you are getting.

My first guess is this sensor, second guess would be the fuel pump. the sensor is on the right front side of the motor towards the top of the motor right around the headers. Find another bike adn swap them and see if that fixes the issue. If it does I thnk the part is like $80 or so. Other wise swap tanks with them and see if that fixes your issue then you will know if it is the pump.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks sneaky !!!

that seems like a logical thing for it to be. i'm kinda old school with cars and it seemed like a distibuter problem causing the timing to be off. these bikes don't have that setup but a cam sesor would give the same kind of results. i have access to a 2003 636 for whatever parts i need so i'll swap that sensor and see what's up. would a gutted stock exhaust cause a problem with the sensor? anybody know?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea sneaky, thats what i thought too.
well for the last 3 days we've had either rain, sleet or rain and sleet. so today i finally got to work on it and try it out.

deffinatly not the, exhaust cam sensor or the fuel pump. can't buy plugs today cause it's turkey day. but thats the next thing to be done. battery is fine and so far all the wires look fine. it runs great as long as i don't go over half throttle which sux. another thing i noticed, when i started out and it was cold, bout 110 degree's it didn't cut out, but turned around and headed back it started acting up.

well happy turkey day, i'm headed out for a bud light and steak. i'll keep yall updated and if yall have anymore ideas please let me know. thanks, warbuk

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
keep this thread updated cause im very curious to see if this turns out to the be the fuel pump now. I doubt its the plugs but im gonna say its still the pump lol.

Did you check to see if your bike has any fi codes stored in it? when my pump was going bad I had a air inlet temp sensor code which was most likely from the bike running lean on low fuel and mixing with air causing alot of lean.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey south, i changed the fuel pump and it did the same thing so i've ruled that out, for now. i haven't checked for any stored codes and yes i know i should have first but my FI light has never flashed during any of this. i've run across peeps that had their FI light flash or come on and they had codes but like i said mine hasn't ever flashed. just comes on with the switch and goes off. if i'm cruising above 80 it cuts out. if i'm at any speed lower and romp down on it, it cuts out. just got back from the drag strip on it and nobody know anything helpfull. gonna look for codes and see what i find.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Originally posted by sneakyws6
No a gutted cats will cause no prob what so ever, no different that a slip on as they dont have cats in them.
actually, they can make it run extremely lean due to stock tuning with the CAT which would ruin your plugs, rings, and valves.. This is just a thought if it is not the plugs.. check your Throttle body vacuum tubes (those bitches get disconnected easy) Good luck man.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Actually kawirider getting rid of the cats do not make them run lean, it actually makes the bike run richer. I have dynoed all of my bikes and they all have ran richer after gutting the cats.

Also they will not ruin rings, valves or anything else. If your bike gets that lean you will way more problems to worry about.

My guess then is either fuel pump or maybe the throttle position sensor. Only thing that sucks if it is the TPS sensor is that they are only sold with the TB's and are not suppossed to be removed due to how they are set from the factory.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.