Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

HELP! New bike troubles

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Zephyr 
#1 · (Edited)
hello,
I'm the type of person who bought a 2020 Z650 as my first bike. I actually don't have my license yet so i haven't tried riding her. What I DID DO, however, was purchase some engine crash bars from T-Rex which I just now tried to install. After realizing the bars didn't quite fit before i could fully install them i took them off and began to put the front engine bolts back on.
Here is my problem, The frame holes no longer lined up with the engine mount holes. I tried knocking the cylinder in between the frame and the engine back in to alignment but couldn't get them back in line. so here i am with a brand new bike that i haven't ridden yet and I'm silently freaking out.
Any help or advice would be great. I'm going to call my dealership in the morning but I would hate to pay them to fix this...
here are some pictures of said problem. You can see the white outline of where the mount should be lined up.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
UPDATE:
I fixed it! thanks for the advice y'all, i just used my car jack to barely lift the engine. i mean like a centimeter at most and got the bolts back in. started her up and everything runs fine. couple pictures here

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Many different crash bar - crash bung combinations have caused problems to many different brands of motorcycles.

Motorcycle companies are not responsible for aftermarket instalations that interfere with the structural integrity of their bikes.

Not a fan of crash protection in general as I've seen motorcycle frames been damaged and replaced after pretty innocent accidents. Not always the case of course, but leverage is always a factor.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Here is my problem, The frame holes no longer lined up with the engine mount holes. I tried knocking the cylinder in between the frame and the engine back in to alignment but couldn't get them back in line. so here i am with a brand new bike that i haven't ridden yet and I'm silently freaking out.
You should never bang an engine to try to line it up. It won't line up with banging. It's an engine that has dropped out of place with the removal of engine bolts. Bang all you want, and it will still fall where it is. You will need a jack to lift the engine to line up the holes. With the jack still in the lift position, you will then need to torque your engine bolts in.

Again, please don't try "knocking" the cylinder, it will not work. And if the bolt hole isn't perfect, do not try to screw the bolt in. It may start, but you will start to gall the hole and the metal threads will build up, making it very difficult to torque properly.

#6 ·
The frame may have flexed out slightly as well. You may need an alignment pry bar to help flex the frame back to the engine. Also, please put a wood block bigger than the head of your jack between it and the motor. It will help to not mar up your paint on your new motor but more importantly it will help spread out the surface area across the bottom of your engine case and prevent you from possibly putting a big gaping hole in the bottom of your engine. That would be bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.