Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the kit ECU to day on my bike and all seems good. I will have some data tonight after the drag runs. My question concerns the optional wire adaptor that I bought to go with it to adapt it to stock wiring harness. I even put the red and green/white wire in the appropriate spots on the harness. Other than by those 2 wires, the rest of the harness appears to be diagnostic/interface for kit programming. After all is said and done, I wonder if I even needed this optional harness adaptor to just use the default map. As it stands unless the red and green/white wires go from the ecu harness to the optional harness which plus into nothing else. The bike appears to run fine the way it is but, insight into what harness does would be great. The instructions that come with the ECU are pretty useless. Thanks fellow Kawi brothers and sisters for any information that you could give me.
Dean

·
Registered
70 Posts
the optional harness is required for programming the ECU. i have the ECU as well and i love it. if possible, i would suggested having your engine dyno tuned using the kit ecu after you are done with all your mods. i don't know if you have anyone in your area that is capable of doing this. i had a hard time finding someone in my area and as a matter of fact, i only found one person that could do it. lucky for me, he is really good. i had mine done by marc salvisberg at Factory Pro. if you look on their website it has my dyno chart on it. http://www.factorypro.com/

good luck.

sc1

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response. I just want to clarify that the harness that I am talking about is the $30 harness, not the $400 ecu interface harness. The instructions that came with it are pretty crappy. The best help were the ones from factory pro. I just got back from the drags a few minutes ago and was feeling pretty bad about the ECU performance. I actually lost 1 mph in the quarter mile and was thinking it was the ECU. I even played with shift points and my power commander but, no change in mph. A stock 05 6rr should run about 127 moh in the quarter and the 636 will run 132-133. I was expecing at least 130 mph and the fact that i could only get 124 was pretty upsetting. A guy on a 636 w/ slip on was running 11.34 @ 129 mph tonight as an indicator. The more I think about it, the more I am concerned that my clutch is slipping and killing my et and mph. My bike is geared to use all 6 gears for the quarter and with the exception of first gear, took forever to rev up through the gears. I am going to inspect the clutch tomorrow which I hope is the problem because I would hate to have thrown away 400+ dollars on the ECU. Do you know of any decent maps for my PC3 that would work well on my bike. I have denso irridium plugs, micron slip on, and BMC race filter. Thank you for the help.
Dean

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the time correction but, as far as mph expectations I was comparing to bikes running last night in identical conditions. In any case MPH suffered since putting on ECU. I will open up the clutch cover later on today and see whats up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yes, i am talking about the $25 wire harness. you really need to have your kit ecu mapped (fuel & ignition) on a dyno to get the most out of it. i was so disappointed with my mods (akra slip on, bmc street filter and kit ecu) until i got it dyno tuned/mapped. you can't expect to do all those mods without a dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply sc1.I just got done replacing the friction plates in my clutch as they were shot and got replaced. There was also quite a bit of surface blueing on the steel plates but, no warpage. I was able to clean them up and reinstall them. Just from the short test ride on the street tells me that the bike is definitely quicker than ever before. It hits the shift point much quicker than before. I need to keep a closer eye on the clutch wear from now on because it is so gradual that it sneaks up on you. I am going to the drags this Friday to see what kind of MPH I can get out of it. I am also planning on putting it on the local dealerships dyno this weekend. My dad and I get discounts for running their stickers at the track are looking to get hooked up on the dyno.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.