Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a carb in my 08 ninja and I have a fuel leak I cannot find!!! Can anyone take a pic of where all the lines actually run???
And on top of that it won't crank over now there's one loud click that's it im not sure what I did but I'm in some serious need of help. I'm new to the whole motorcycle thing please please please help me!!! Very much appreciated I'm so stressed out over this

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Tyler,

So by fuel leak do you mean dripping out of the carb intake? You most likely have a bad needle/seat that meters the fuel level in each bowl. By doing so you have flooded the engine causing fuel to drip down into the crankcase passing by the piston rings over time. Remove the engine oil cap and smell inside, most likely stinks of gas. Follow these steps.

1) Turn off the fuel petcock
2) Remove the carb assembly
3) Remove the spark plugs
4) Use an air compressor and WITHOUT YOUR FACE NEAR THE SPARK PLUG HOLE (ask me how i know) spray compressed air into there and it should blow the gas out of the chamber and leave the spark plugs out for a few hours to air out the cylinder from the flooded fuel.
5) Drain the engine oil/Remove oil filter
6) Refill with fresh oil/new filter (fuel deteriorates oil and the filter) and by cranking the bike you will damage the clutch, oil pump, piston rings, and cams.
* Oil floats on top of gasoline so the oil pump located at the lowest point of the crankcase will suck the fuel up first and try to use that as oil. The engine will most likely run if you installed the spark plugs or tried to keep cranking it forcing it past the piston rings and will eventually blow the motor so don't do that over a $5 filter and $31.99 worth of rotella t-6

7) Remove the carb bowls and follow a youtube video on how to rebuild the carbs.
* It is best to test the carb floats OFF of the bike since you are learning you might set the floats wrong and its no big deal if its on a test stand, and best not to wake up to the bike flooded and have to do this all over again. Dont be in a rush to force the bike back together.

Once the carb has been rebuild we can test.

* Set the carbs roughly at the angle they would be installed onto the motorcycle (roughly 40 degrees). Fill a small spare lawn mower fuel tank or something that can hold alcohol in it and connect a fuel line. I use a 10$ amazon plastic snowblower tank with 1/4" fuel line connected to a shutoff valve off of a snowblower. Put the tank filled with alcohol (isopropyl) up high so it can gravity feed, and connect it to the carb. Make a small mark on the fuel tank indicating where the alcohol (fuel) level is and cap the tank of well. Visually check carbs for leakage, if it leaks you already know something is up, If not continue by opening and closing the throttle plates a bunch of times, if still no leaks let it sit overnight.

Assuming it doesn't leak in the morning its pretty safe to say that it wont leak on the bike so reinstall everything carefully, dont bang it around, and hope for the best.

Any questions message me in this thread ill follow

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts