Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike - 2006 636 bought brand new in Apriil 2007. Just over 5000 miles on it so far.

So, I am headed home from work yesterday and while sitting at a stop light, I notice a vibration. It is pretty high frequency and very very suddle. The vibration is only felt while idling at a standstill with the front brakes engaged. It doesn't vibrate if I am just engaging the back brake and I don't feel any vibration when the bike is moving. Any ideas????

Brake fluid level is normal. Bike is completely stock. Only maintenance done on the bike so far is the initial 1000 mile service (done at about 900 miles), change oil every 1500 miles or so, lube chain every 300 miles, clean the air filter, and that is it.

NEED YOUR ADVICE!!!!!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Clutch lever? I know they are known for it on the 05/06 but it's usually around 9k rpm. Worth checking though.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
what's your base idle at? Should be between 1300-1500rpm's. Like ranking said, check your clutch lever see if it's looser than normal. Check your free play of the lever, you should be able to fit a nickle on edge in between the lever end and the rest of the housing before you feel the cable engage. My 06 get's buzzy in 3rd gear around 8-9K, it's normal. you could get those motovation bar ends which are heavier and do help with the vibrations if it becomes more of a nusence.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vibration isn't so much a nuisance as it is a concern that something isn't working like it should. And just to reiterate, I am talking about the front brake lever being engaged, not the clutch lever. Nothing vibrates (more than it should) when moving, but it is only at a standstill and only when I grab the FRONT brakes that this suddle vibration is felt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Bad brake pads. Stock ones need to be switch out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad brake pads. Stock ones need to be switch out.
I guess that may be a good call. 5k on the stock pads is about all I can expect???? I did notice the tiniest of squeeks this morning while riding. I still am baffled that a worn brake pad would cause a vibration when the the calipers squeeze and the bike is at a complete standstill. What would the source of the vibration be???? I could understand that it may vibrate when the bike is rolling, but not just sitting at idle. Anyway, the small squeak I heard this morning is indication enough to change out the pads.

Thanks for the input. I will let you know if brake pads fix the issue.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Mine went just after 2 months of riding. Less then 7000km which is like 3-4k miles. I've got some galfer hhh pads in now and they're fucking amazing. When people drive my bike they're amazed how powerful and quickly they stop. Also SS lines are a nice addition.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
loose head bearing? mabe?

i got 20K out of my stock brake pads.

when it does this shaking, how hard are you hitting the brakes? have you tried to hit the brakes harder?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I still am baffled that a worn brake pad would cause a vibration when the the calipers squeeze and the bike is at a complete standstill. What would the source of the vibration be???? I could understand that it may vibrate when the bike is rolling, but not just sitting at idle.
Me thinks you be a wee bit paranoid about some of the quirks of this bike. If you are not moving and have the front brakes applied and are feeling a vibration, you are feeling the normal vibrations of the bike. strat1701 is on the right path, adjust your idle and I bet the vibration either changes or goes away. you are wasting your time and money replacing the pads as I bet they are not worn out. You wouldn't be able to feel that when NOT moving.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I guess that may be a good call. 5k on the stock pads is about all I can expect???? I did notice the tiniest of squeeks this morning while riding. I still am baffled that a worn brake pad would cause a vibration when the the calipers squeeze and the bike is at a complete standstill. What would the source of the vibration be???? I could understand that it may vibrate when the bike is rolling, but not just sitting at idle. Anyway, the small squeak I heard this morning is indication enough to change out the pads.

Thanks for the input. I will let you know if brake pads fix the issue.
Mine went just after 2 months of riding. Less then 7000km which is like 3-4k miles. I've got some galfer hhh pads in now and they're fucking amazing. When people drive my bike they're amazed how powerful and quickly they stop. Also SS lines are a nice addition.

If you guys are only getting that low mileage out of stock pads, then something is wrong. I changed mine out at 5500 and they had UBER pad left. I've heard of others getting well up into the 15-20K mile range on stock pads. Granted, your bikes wobble problem could be a warped rotor or something like that, but the pads themselves, I highly doubt they are worn the the point of uselessness.

Why did I change mine out then you're probably wondering, I wanted better performance since I started to ride more track days, and I wanted to go with an HH organic compound, aside from that, I had no reason to change them.

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
If you guys are only getting that low mileage out of stock pads, then something is wrong. I changed mine out at 5500 and they had UBER pad left. I've heard of others getting well up into the 15-20K mile range on stock pads. Granted, your bikes wobble problem could be a warped rotor or something like that, but the pads themselves, I highly doubt they are worn the the point of uselessness.

Why did I change mine out then you're probably wondering, I wanted better performance since I started to ride more track days, and I wanted to go with an HH organic compound, aside from that, I had no reason to change them.
:plusone: I have 12,6xx miles on my stock pads and there is still plenty left. That even includes stainless lines for the last 4k miles and 3 trackdays! I'll probably swap them out in the near future ... but it is hard to want to swap them when they work great and I have no issues.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Granted, your bikes wobble problem could be a warped rotor or something like that, but the pads themselves, I highly doubt they are worn the the point of uselessness.
It is not a wobble problem. As I stated a few times before now, the VIBRATION (not wobble) is felt only when the bike is at a complete standstill.

I realize that I shouldn't be feeling anything related to the brake pads when the bike is not moving. That is what is so ridiculous.

To clarify the issue one more time, I feel the vibration in the seat of the bike and the clip-ons when I am at a complete standstill and I engage the front brake lever. If I let go of the brake lever, the vibration stops completely. The bike is idling very smoothly at about 1350-1400 RPMs. The vibration is only felt when I grab the brake lever, and it doesn't do it when I hit the rear brake. I have never had a motorcycle do this before. It would maybe make more sense if these things had some sort of electronic brake assist (like a car), but they don't so I don't see what could cause this.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
is it happening when you are sitting still, or when you are comming down from speed?

i may have mis read it, but i thought when you where comming down from speed?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Me thinks you be a wee bit paranoid about some of the quirks of this bike. .
+1 mine has a very subtle vibe when i grab the brake too. the vibe just has a slightly different frequency with the brakes are applied cuz now the motor is making more stuff vibrate thus the slightly different feel. i wouldnt worry about it. its not gonna be your pads or clutch lever or anything. its physics...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.