Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, some doushebag tamperd with all of my locks the other nite so i had to order a new ignition switch, cowel lock, and gas cap. Ive change already both the gas cap and the cowl lock, but i have no clue on how to change the ignition switch, can anyone help me with this delema, cause i wanna ride as soon as i can i just recently got the bike, right now my key wont even go in all the way! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Well, if the bugger plans on riding away with the bike, you have several options.

Best idea, add theft insurance to the bike, and left him take it if he wants it that bad. Make sure you have the extra coverage to pay up any extra you owe.

Install a kill switch, and hide it under the seat. When you go to start the bike up, flip the switch go riding. Done for the day, flip the switch again, no one starts the bike uunless the switch is flipped again.

Install a gps tracking device. You can pick up one of those wrist watches meant for little kids, and track the theives on the internet. Also doubles as a way to figure out where your friend goes when he borrows your ride.

Remove the bolts for the front brake calipers after each ride. If someone steals your bike and rides it away, he's as good as dead. And keep theft coverage on it. I think it would be worth a wrecked bike if you knew the thief was offed by it...

BC.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
lol, sweet idea loosening the brake caliper bolts BC!! see the f%$^ers try get away cleanly now[}:)]

·
Registered
689 Posts
Bladecutter, where do I get one of those GPS trackable watches for kids??? Is there a website? How do you look where the kid/bike is? I have had someone try to steal my bike TWICE now. So I have an alarm. But if it ever did get stolen, I could show up with a about 40 bikers I ride with. Any help would be appreciated!
-Rob

·
Registered
689 Posts
Oh, and is there a monthly fee for the watch thing? I have heard of something called "LoJack" or something. What is that?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I did some net surfing. The Ljack thing is like 700 bucks, and I don't know if there is a LoJack install place here in Vegas. PLus installation, plus options. But there is no monthly fee. The site says it is the size of a chalk board eraser. My trunk thing is already full with my power comamnder, tool kit, cell phone, wallet, and sometimes a 20 ounce soda. MOunting teh lojack might prove to be difficult on a bike. The wrist watch thing is only 200, but the minimum monthly fee is 20 bucks. Yes, it could save a TON of headache, but still a bit pricey for a bill every month that you may only actually USE the service once. But it is nice and tiny, so easy to hide anywhere on a bike. But it's batteries only work for 60 hours until it has to be recharged. So you'd have to remove it, and charge it for 6 hours every two and half days, big downside. The lojack runs off very little constant power off your bikes battery like an alarm. It has a backup battery so it will still work for a while should the battery be disconnected. With the wrist watch, you yourself can look up the location of your stolen bike online, and go and kick someones ASS with your biker buddies. With the lojack, all you can do is activate it over the phone, and hope the cops dont let the guys get away. So neither of these things has ALL the features I want. If only you could track your own bike online with the lojack like you can with the watch...

www.homesecuritystore.com www.auto-recovery.net

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You're missing something...
How long was it after you were last at your bike that you noticed that someone had messed with it?
A couple hours?

Well, keep 2 set of batteries ready, one set in the watch, the other charging, and swap them every other day. Sure, its a bit of effort, but if you CATCH the BASTARD who tried to STEAL YOUR BIKE, isn't that worth $200?

Plus, if you are near as maniacle as I am, I would rig up a way for it to work off the main battery anyway... If I had an expensive bike I didn't want stolen, I'd invest the money in one of those watches in a second.

BC.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the suggestions on how to make it harder to steal but thats not really what i need........my baby stays in a garage every night, it just happens that that night someone messed with it, i left it outside, which ill never do again i just need to figure out how to change the igniton switch!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
What makes you think they won't go inside the garage next time? They know you have a bike. It being in the garage will actually give them more time to work on it without being seen by a passer-by.

Put a kill switch in the starting circuit.
And you need to drill out the caps to the bolts that hold the lock to the upper triple. You have to take the triple off the bike, first.

BC.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hey, why not let all the air out of the tires every night? Shit, just take the wheels off every night. No one can steal it then. For fuck's sake.

My bike has always been put in the garage attached to my house. I would never leave it outside, but if you absolutely had to, that's understandable. Bladecutter, I don't know about you, but if someone broke into my garage to fuck with/steal my bike, I would hear it, and they would be in a world of trouble.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks tommoy, seriously i live in Jax, Florida where all they do is look for bikes and as soon as they find one outside its gone........pretty much if people want your bike they're getting it....all im trying to do is fix up my bike so i can ride, not make it 110% steal proof!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I knew someone that kept it inside his apartment. While on vacation they cut the door (sawzall'd around the locks) and stole it right from his living room.

If they want it, they'll take it. I've had two stolen. Gap insurance is nice.

Love the watch GPS tracker. Maybe I'll use that with a pager/alarm system.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
probaly best way is theft insurance. too much work just to keep it safe, IMO:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
they want to charge me an assload to change it out.......if i cant figure it out i have no choice but to, but id rather save the money.

·
Registered
530 Posts
OK, I really hate to do this, but in my effort to protect the interests of the community, here's why I was asking:
...thieves don't normally take the time to pick the cowl lock and the gas lock. (could it be that you just don't have the key?)
...you don't want to ask a dealer to fix your ignition lock (cuz they might ask for proof of ownership?)
...you're looking for a personalized license plate http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11357 (cuz you need to hide the old plate?)
...you've checked out retractable license plates http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2265 (cuz you need to hide your fake plate as much as possible?)
...you want to buy ANY aftermarket exhaust "just for the shits of it" even though you said already bought a micron highmount dirt cheap http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10660 (cuz you don't want the bike to be recognized by its current aftermarket exhaust?)
...you haven't been here all that long,
...and your tagline doesn't help.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but it just makes me suspicious, that's all. (Maybe I've seen too many movies!) If you do own that bike, I'm *really* sorry and please understand that I'm doing this to protect you, me, and other bike owners, and to make sure that no thief gets help from this forum.

Don't misunderstand -- I'll be glad if you prove me wrong.

·
Registered
689 Posts
micty has some VERY interesting points..I doubt he is right, BUT, what if he is??[?]

·
Registered
720 Posts
Your prove a good point by showing all those threads that he has gone to, but I would love to have a personalized retractable liscence plate, and an aftermarket exhuast system. Now I defintly need a muffler because someone stole my goddamn muffler with the bolts on it, and it was a stock one! That's pretty shitty! But anyway my bike is still mine.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Originally posted by micty
OK, I really hate to do this, but in my effort to protect the interests of the community, here's why I was asking:
...thieves don't normally take the time to pick the cowl lock and the gas lock. (could it be that you just don't have the key?)
...you don't want to ask a dealer to fix your ignition lock (cuz they might ask for proof of ownership?)
...you're looking for a personalized license plate http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11357 (cuz you need to hide the old plate?)
...you've checked out retractable license plates http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2265 (cuz you need to hide your fake plate as much as possible?)
...you want to buy ANY aftermarket exhaust "just for the shits of it" even though you said already bought a micron highmount dirt cheap http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10660 (cuz you don't want the bike to be recognized by its current aftermarket exhaust?)
...you haven't been here all that long,
...and your tagline doesn't help.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but it just makes me suspicious, that's all. (Maybe I've seen too many movies!) If you do own that bike, I'm *really* sorry and please understand that I'm doing this to protect you, me, and other bike owners, and to make sure that no thief gets help from this forum.

Don't misunderstand -- I'll be glad if you prove me wrong.

As soon as I get out of Law School, consider yourself on the payroll.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.