Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya, I have a 2008 Kawi Ninja 250r and when I turn the engine on and position it upright I start to hear a ticking noise, but when I lean it on the side stand it goes away. So weird! I also recently went to get my rear tire changed and the guys there said they'll have to open the whole engine up to diagnose the problem which will cost me a lot so I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and could tell me??? Please and thank you!!:)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hello and welcome! That ticking noise is most likely the cam chain tensioner and is normal on Kawasakis.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Okay thank you! Do you think cleaning it with brake cleaner would help???
No, the cam chain and tensioner are internal to the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello and welcome! That ticking noise is most likely the cam chain tensioner and is normal on Kawasakis.
Have a ninja 900 and seem to have a light ticking when I start my bike as well. Does not stop when I lean the bike however. Cam chain tensioner... does this problem span all engine sizes for the kawasakis or just the smaller ones. I understand its an internal problem and could potentially be involved... is there a lot of potential damage that can come from not getting this fixed or is it just a noisy inconvenience...?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It is normal for all Kawasaki sportbike engines that I know of. There isn't really anything to fix. It's just part of the sound they make. However, if it really bothers you, some people replace the OEM tensioner with a manually adjustable tensioner: APE Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation

I wouldn't worry about it at all though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info... (sigh of relief ). Doesnt really bother me so much just bec my bike really is so loud its very difficult to hear while your riding. I noticed it it while idling and then paid attention to it while I was riding... glad to know

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts