Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a valentine one radar detector wit ha mounting bracket for sport bikes as well as a HARD system (the litle red light i nteh helmet that allows you to see when your detector is going off(wireless))

what would be the best hard wire method for the radar detector?
i figured since i will always be unpluging it (leaving the power wire to dangle at the gauges) i could just us the negative and positive batt. terminals

anyone see any problems with this?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
What is the draw? Do you know?

You could wire a molex into the wires from the daytime running right. Then run that spliced in wire right over the top and then to the side oh your gauge cluster.

When you didn't need the wire just unplug the molex and you can tuck the wire behind the gauge cluster and windscreen. I think that would work. You'd get the power you need plus the install would be clean.

Good luck.

-Flash

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its 12 volt dc but im not quite understanding what your saying to do
wich wires are you saying to use?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive seen the adapters before but it would be easier just to hard wire it since i dont really plan on doing anything like charging my cell when im riding ;)

actually radar busters has the HARD sytem but they can't sell the valentine its at valentine1.com they have no distributers- ive been using it in my car and i am very happy with the performance no i just need to figure out how to hard wire it to my bike

does anyone see any problem jsut going off the battery leads if the detector is always off when the bike is off? is this bad for the bike in anyway to have soemthing jsut wired to the batteries?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok if you want to hard wire it's really easy. I've already done mine. You said that you've been using it in your car so I'm asuming that it has a cigarette plug in? Either way all you have do is strip it down to the 2 wires run it behind your gauges, under the gas tank then under the seat. I hooked mine into the lisence plate light cause I took off the big mud flap so I just cut off the plug to the bulb then spliced it and plugged it in. That way when you turn the key on it came on. You can also run it to the fuse box and just pull the fuse to your lowbeam headlight stick the wires in and put the fuse back in. It won't hurt anything either way. It just depends on whether or not you use your lisence plate light. I personally wouldn't connect straight to the battery cause one if you are in a hury and forget you'll get a dead batterie. Plus it would suck having to plug it in the un plug it all the time and that will wear out the connection to the detector.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome thats exactly what i was looking for. the connecter shouldn't wear out its a phone jack style or if it does it's easily replaceable.... now on the find the best way to mount the detector http://www.saeng.com/cockpit.htm <----- probably at that site
thanks for all your help and BTW how is yours mounted?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bent the bracket to fit the windscreen. I then went to radio shack and got some special velcro and stuck it on. That way you can take it on and off as you please. If you have a tinted screen you cant even see it. As for the reception? It's much better than mounting it in a car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.