Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing ninja 650 shop sport bars on my ER-6n the head light is in the way of the brake lines. the throttle cable wont snap back when turned fully right. these are the second type of bars i tried. im losing it here:mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats been no help most people put them on 650r's i think the problem is the head light of the er being to close. pain in the ass!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tony is right, the only difference between the 650R and the ER6n is the fairing.

If the throttle cables are binding, its because they're being asked to bend around too many curves. Try to find a better routing. The ER6 throttle cables are in that damn starter switch box, so you can't rotate the throttle housing to a different angle. This part, however, shouldn't be any different than the 650R, so a solution should already exist.

If the brake line is hitting the ER6n headlight, try routing the brake line differently. You can hack off the tab on the lever body that prevents the line from rotating on the banjo bolt. The banjo fitting also is kinked at an angle, you can flip it upside down, rotate it, whatever will help.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Tony is right, the only difference between the 650R and the ER6n is the fairing.

If the throttle cables are binding, its because they're being asked to bend around too many curves. Try to find a better routing. The ER6 throttle cables are in that damn starter switch box, so you can't rotate the throttle housing to a different angle. This part, however, shouldn't be any different than the 650R, so a solution should already exist.

If the brake line is hitting the ER6n headlight, try routing the brake line differently. You can hack off the tab on the lever body that prevents the line from rotating on the banjo bolt. The banjo fitting also is kinked at an angle, you can flip it upside down, rotate it, whatever will help.

Yep, as covered in many other threads you can bend or cut a tab and/or reroute the cables and/or flip the bango bolt...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the brake-line-hitting-the-headlight issue (fixed), now I have my throttle cable steel guide tube hitting the top of my forks, preventing the right handlebar from rotating forward.

a) Is anybody else running into this issue?
b) What did you do?

This tube cannot be bent by hand to get a sharper angle, one would have to unthread the throttle cable and get it to a vise. I thought about scoring the inside bend with a cutting wheel, yet that could cause a nightmare if it went all the way through. The steel sleeve cannot be pushed into the housing even if I were to cut a new notch, as it is a thicker diameter than what is in the housing. The only thing I can think of is pulling it out of the housing, defeating the purpose and causing undue strain on the cable.

Also, the left bar hits the tank at full turn. These bars really weren't engineered very well.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
if you wanna be a boss, axe the front end and get clip-ons like tony!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the brake-line-hitting-the-headlight issue (fixed)...
Good, this should resolve the only fitment issue you have that is unique between the ER6n and 650R.

...now I have my throttle cable steel guide tube hitting the top of my forks, preventing the right handlebar from rotating forward.
If the ER6n and 650R are indeed the same, this should be a common issue. I can postulate two solutions:
1: If the bar is drilled for the control housing stub, rotate the right bar in the clamp to allow the throttle cable guide to clear the triple clamp. This may put the buttons in an awkward position, but won't affect their operation. Also, with the integrated control housing designed the way it is, too much cable tension will cause the cables to bind. Try backing off the tension.
2: You have the Sport Bars somehow mounted wrong, or got the wrong version or wrong year. How bad is the interference?

Also, the left bar hits the tank at full turn. These bars really weren't engineered very well.
and...
FLEXION;[COLOR=DarkRed said:
These bars really weren't engineered for the ER6N.
Fixed.
I am confused now. Tank clearance and the throttle cable issue don't make sense unless its also a common problem on the 650R in the threads Tony linked.

What exactly is different between the ER6n and the 650R besides the fairing or headlight?
Different tank shape?
Different triple clamp?
Different bar risers?
Different controls?

I am making a rather safe assumption in saying the answer to all of these is "no", but please correct me if I am wrong. Someone could cross reference the part numbers on a site like www.kawasakipartshouse.com or www.cheapcycleparts.com if they were so inclined to do a comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts