Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 ZX-6R that I got 1 1/2 weeks ago and I'm having trouble upshifting. It currently has 266 miles. I am making sure that I throttle off all the way and pull in the clutch all the way. I even adjusted the shift lever. It is very difficult to upshift. I sometimes often need to make 2-3 attempts and it happens on all the gears. Sometimes when I shift nothing happens and sometimes it feels like it's sticking. I'm still breaking it in and don't take it above 4000 rpm's. I did a search and came up with nothing. Any ideas? TIA:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
The bike shifts really crappy below 6k rpms, even in broken in bikes. Above said RPM range however, it's like frikkin buttah. Just a quirk you have to get used to. Give it time to get broken in properly (you should be revving over 6k during break in if you ask me, but that's a whole other debate) and you'll see the difference. The break in period on a bike is no way to determine anything about said bike.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks Vee. How come there's no real mention about this when I did a search. Is this common for all new bikes? I mean, I really need to try to hard to upshift. Thanks again!

·
Registered
147 Posts
It shouldnt be that hard mate. Bring her back to the dealer and have them take a look at it. You located on the island?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Is it like that on all gears or do you just notice it on some. I have a buddy that was having that issue but it was from 1st to 2nd gear only. That told me that it was getting caught in Neutral so until he could get the bike back to the shop so they could adjust it, he just double shifted from a higher RPM from 1st to 3rd but all is good now that it got adjusted and more play/worked in. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I had a similiar problem from 1st to 2nd when I first had mine, but it was user error I guess because I was babying it too much. I kept going into neutral, but its like butter when you get those revs high and shift properly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
***update***

Brought it to the dealership and had the mechanic take a look at it. He took it for a run and said that it was perfectly fine. He mentioned that it's the typical Kawasaki tranny and that I was having problems due to the break-in period. I was probably shifting to a higher gear at too low of an RPM (around 3500) trying to keep it under 4000 like the manual said. He also told me that it's okay to take it to 6000 and a occassionally higher. So on the way back I did just that and it's much better! I did a thorough search and did not find any mention of this "issue". Did you guys ever had this problem? Thanks for everyones comments and help. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi, Bubby. I see u are having trouble up-shifting.
One thing u should not do pull the gas off all the way the clutch and shift.
If this bike is the first.
It helps the stay in first go around the block in first and throttle control just move it back and forth don't over rev it. All it takes a mm off for shifts. Same for down shifting. These bikes are very touche when it comes too this, because of the slipper. One more thing get a 60 degree throttle. It helps....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Bubby. I see u are having trouble up-shifting.
One thing u should not do pull the gas off all the way the clutch and shift.
If this bike is the first.
It helps the stay in first go around the block in first and throttle control just move it back and forth don't over rev it. All it takes a mm off for shifts. Same for down shifting. These bikes are very touche when it comes too this, because of the slipper. One more thing get a 60 degree throttle. It helps....
So I shouldn't throttle off all the way when I upshift?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think something is definetly wrong with your bike. i would get a second opinion. our zx6 have one of the most smooth transmission compared to other bikes. so you should not have a problem upshifting especially with the clutch all the way in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point, I'll definately get a second opinion. Funny thing is that's what I said to the mechanic, that I decided to buy the ZX-6R because it's suppose to have the best transmission.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It does. U know what i rarely use the clutch. Clutch less down is impossible too master. Ok, This is what i do.
When it time, I well ply very little up ward pressure then with a quick using the clutch with very little off the gas i shift. Be very fast, try not too use to much gear or it well clunky sound that's hard on the drive gear. Be fast and smooth and all at the same time. Dont think just do it.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts