Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine does a similar noise occasionally, but not nearly as bad. I'm pretty sure it's just things rattling together like the plastics and such.

G

·
have you tried searching? or maybe listening to the other videos that show up as similar to yours?

I'm terrible with engine noises, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help in any account...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine just start having that noise only when the engine gets hot (about 10 minutes of riding).
@Entropy: Yes, i have been searching but so far no video shows similar problem with mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^The rattling noise that comes after i open the throttle. sounds like a rattling baby toy.
yeah, i got some comments like there might be mice or cats sleeping inside my ninja. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^only around 350 miles on it. can it be valve chatter with the fact that the bike still has little mileage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds normal to me. :dunno:
is it ? this is my first kawi bike so i don't know if there's a unique characteristic of kawi engine (such as this 'sound', maybe ?). Does your ninja 250 also has that noise ?
kawi's local mechanic said the noise of my bike's engine is rougher than any other 250 ninjas' he's ever heard. but he hasn't had a chance to take a look closer into the problem. probably i would go back to the service center tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
There have been very few issues that I'm aware of with the engines in these bikes, but one member did have a carb problem apparently from the factory that needed adjustment. Perhaps your valves are a tiny bit tight and need a small adjustment, but your dealer would know for sure. I personally don't think the 250R engine runs very smoothly in the best of circumstances, perhaps because the US is the only market for the carbed version and the engine was designed primarily for FI. I have owned 2 carbed Yamahas in the past and they both ran much smoother than this Kawasaki. Overall it's a great bike, but I sure would've liked to have had the option to pay extra for FI on mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
sounds like valve train noise. wear a helmet and see if it gets better or check valve adjustment. i noticed that on mine when cold but not hot. j

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Truefaith, we have the carb version in indonesia as well. i think only europe gets the FI.
i live in jkt, indonesia, and kawi mechanics here are not familiar with 250 engine (normally they only handle 100 - 150 cc motorcycle engine) so they are afraid to open the engine and see what's wrong inside.

sounds like valve train noise. wear a helmet and see if it gets better or check valve adjustment. i noticed that on mine when cold but not hot. j

hi jellero, do u still have that noise coming ?
mine had the carb resetted and i noticed the noise is not as loud as it used to, but still there !

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Truefaith, we have the carb version in indonesia as well. i think only europe gets the FI.
i live in jkt, indonesia, and kawi mechanics here are not familiar with 250 engine (normally they only handle 100 - 150 cc motorcycle engine) so they are afraid to open the engine and see what's wrong inside.
That's very interesting. I thought we were the only ones to get the carbed versions here in the US. This bike does run rougher and has a noisier engine than any other bike I've owned, but I still don't think it's really anything to worry about. As long as you keep the fluids up and continue with scheduled maintenence, I would only worry if the noise suddenly gets much louder. These are small engines, after all, and if the bike is new and not completely broken in you'll hear things that might sound a bit "off" if you're being super-critical of every noise. You're going to hear a bit more mechanical chatter until everything wears in a bit.
I don't see why a 100-150cc engine would be that much different than your Ninja's to the point where mechanics wouldn't want to work on it. You must feel like the Big Dog with everyone riding smaller bikes. That's certainly not the case in my neighborhood! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mostly motorcycles in indonesia have 4 stroke, single cylinder, 2 valves engine or 2 stroke engines.
ninja 250 is THE ONLY motorcycle for mass market that has 2 cylinders, DOHC engine.
frankly speaking, they don't have the tools and sufficient knowledge to deal with such engine (yet).
there's some big-bikes service shops somewhere in jkt, but i don't want to break the factory warranty should there be other problems with the bike in the future. and it costs around 60 - 70 bucks for regular maintenance. This is way much more expensive than having serviced at authorized dealer ( around 10 -15 bucks).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indonesian bikes

Re noises and Indonesian bikes (carbs), and my first post.....
I am ex-pat living in Borneo (Balikpapan) and got my red Ninja 2 weeks ago (510 kms). I commute on it every day, loving it, and yes, as someone said...in a market like Indonesia this is a BIG bike - and coming from one of those 200cc aircooled singles (Honda Tiger) the Ninja feels fantastic - smooth, mostly quiet, and sounds more like a 4 cyl bike (similar to Yam YZF 600, in sound but not speed of course).

I do hear a couple of strange noises, though. Tappety (valve clatter) noise esp when hot and over 5k rpm. Petrol tank whistles occasionally (stops if I open the tank cap).

Some interesting(?) facts about the 250R here. It cost 15% more where I live, than in Jakarta. Here it is about us$5k (Rp 52 million). Dealers like to add hidden charges to OTR price (quick delivery charge - not mentioned at deposit time) and they are trying to avoid replacing the tank - that had a small dent on delivery. Seat cowl (genuine Kawa) cost $50. Servicing is free for the first 3 or 4 times. Petrol is about 70c/litre.
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts