Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of lockhart phillips racing smooth c/f bar ends to go on my bike and replace stock ones... got the stock bar off.. but I can't make heads or tails of how they are supposed to go on.. didn't come with instructions and threads on new bar ends dont match up... it says the are compatible with the 08 zx-6r

link to what I bought

http://www.motosport.com/street/pro..._root^categoryID~3^categoryName~Sport#reviews

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can you use the original bolts with the new bar ends? when I had to change mine out i stripped the allen bolt so i had to cut the bar end off and put vice grips to the original bolt. So if you didnt fuck up the originals you could prolly use em if they line up with the new ends.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i'll let you know when i get them if i'm right they fit inside the bar and you tighten the screw and the rubber expands and holds them in place.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'll let you know when i get them if i'm right they fit inside the bar and you tighten the screw and the rubber expands and holds them in place.
so what your saying is I probably have to take off the piece that the original bar end threads into?>....

·
Registered
55 Posts
The bar ends you purchased will not work for your bike, ours mount flush to the end with no insert, if you took yours off you would clearly see that, the ones you purchased are made so the rubber part inserts in the end and when you turn the screw the rubber expand holding the bar end securely. You're simply going to have to return those or save them for a non-kawi bike. There are several on Ebay including the spike one aforementioned, in addition, they have them in carbon fiber as well and an assortment of anodized colors accordingly.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Stick with stock. They work the best to kill hand vibrations. The aftermarket ones are not nearly heavy enough to kill the vibrations in our high reving engines. Also why on gods green earth would you want to add a sharp pointed metal cap to your fast moving bike. Screams squid newbie to me. Its flat out dangerous if something bad happens, and it won't even work as well.

Also the bar ends you have will work with your kawi. After you remove the stock bar end you will see the raised hex head. Put a socket on it and unscrew it. Its loctited in with red locktite. Now you will have a large diamater hole to install the bar ends you bought. Ride around and see that the aftermarket barends make your hands go knumb in a few mins, and re-install the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Stick with stock. They work the best to kill hand vibrations. The aftermarket ones are not nearly heavy enough to kill the vibrations in our high reving engines. Also why on gods green earth would you want to add a sharp pointed metal cap to your fast moving bike. Screams squid newbie to me. Its flat out dangerous if something bad happens, and it won't even work as well.

Also the bar ends you have will work with your kawi. After you remove the stock bar end you will see the raised hex head. Put a socket on it and unscrew it. Its loctited in with red locktite. Now you will have a large diamater hole to install the bar ends you bought. Ride around and see that the aftermarket barends make your hands go knumb in a few mins, and re-install the stock ones.
not true, stock bar ends are average weight
sure carbon bar ends are worthless
but aftermarket are best like motovation, have you seen them? used them?
http://www.motovationusa.com/

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
not true, stock bar ends are average weight
sure carbon bar ends are worthless
but aftermarket are best like motovation, have you seen them? used them?
http://www.motovationusa.com/
Yeah I'm also going to have to disagree - I have heavyweight Throttlemeisters and they weigh in at just over a pound each (I think 17 ounces). They make a big difference. And when I had the Shogun slider bar ends they weighed nothing, and made a huge negative difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
yeah i never thought of the vibration part of it oh well if it's that bad then i'll switch back to stock only paid $16.99 for the new ones

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thats what I figured when I noticed the weight difference ... I did take off the stock ones... and saw the hex you spoke about taking off also.....

I got the bar ends because they are C/f looking and I like the look of C/f but if they vibrate real bad... ima change back...

but by the way i never said I wanted spike bar ends.. that was someone else's post lol.. ...

I don't feel like being impaled

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah i know you wernt talking about going with the spikes. Its just one of the things that pisses me off. Lets make this thing even more dangerous. Plus being an engineer designing something that is in the shape of a cylinder and converting it to a spike is just about as un creative as you can get. But then people buy them. Atleast in the ducati realm of parts they have people tossing turn signals and shit in the bar ends. One of the few companies that makes sportbike goods with amazing craftsmanship and generally cool designs is Rizoma. But even then there barends aren't much heavier then a delrin version.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yah.. unfortunatly it takes a lot of good planning, to make a part that is not only a cosmetic improvement but at the same time is also a performance improvment as well.... usually you have to choose do you want it to look better or perform better... I am more for better performance so I will try out those bar ends but if they are like what you guys are saying I will mos def switch back to stocks or look for some more beefy ones..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts